Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

You Only Live Twice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You Only Live Twice

    Apart from the various Bond sites on the net can anyone suggest any resources to do serious research on this sixties 007 movie?

  • #2
    Can't help you Mikey, but if you're doing research there's a question I've always wanted to know the answer to.

    My late father used to claim that he saw a version of YOLT with a scene that has since been cut, but no-one else remembers it.

    The scene goes like this - when Bond is being briefed by M in the submarine he tells Bond he can recognise Henderson by his prosthetic leg, and mentions which leg it is. When Bond subsequently meets Henderson he whacks his leg with his walking stick, but gets the wrong leg. Henderson says “I’m glad you got it right”, which of course he didn’t.

    I’m just curious to know whether this scene (Bond being told about the leg) actually existed. If you come across this in your research I’d be grateful to know the answer. Or if anyone else knows?

    Many thanks.

    Comment


    • #3
      the making of You Only Live Twice was the subect of a major 1967 documentary on the little-known BBC Arts Archive depository. Maybe some information can be gleaned here
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/james_bond/12605.shtml

      Myself am a big fan of all the pre-1972 Bond films. All the mono LPs, plus film advert cuttings from the 60s, Brochures and one orginal poster. All the Pan book paperback tie-in printings too.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.danielmartineckhart.com/2...rom-roald.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Could try here:

          Eon Productions Ltd. Eon House, 138 Piccadilly, London W1J 7NR

          I was able to get cast lists out of them a long time ago, but times may have changed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Rick, yes I’m aware of the BBC documentary.

            Wearysloth, I love the script, which I take to be an early draft script. I can see it was written or at least submitted to the production office in June 1966. Struggling to identify the date though, because of the autograph.

            Dave, cast lists are an easy one, IMDB or simply take notes from the closing credits, plus there are various places on the net that list uncredited appearances in the film. The kind of info I’m looking for is production information.

            A couple of years ago I exchanged some emails with UCLA Library Special Collections in Los Angeles, who have some production documentation on this film. However, I tried emailing them again recently and keep getting the mail returned as being unable to deliver. Further to this, I have also been unable to locate a telephone number for this facility.

            Comment


            • #7
              Eon was the production company, so I imagine they would have production info. Hopefully one of these works:

              Library Special Collections 310-825-4988 spec-coll@library.ucla.edu
              Research Library 310-825-4732 yrl-circ@library.ucla.edu

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Big Figure View Post
                Can't help you Mikey, but if you're doing research there's a question I've always wanted to know the answer to.

                My late father used to claim that he saw a version of YOLT with a scene that has since been cut, but no-one else remembers it.

                The scene goes like this - when Bond is being briefed by M in the submarine he tells Bond he can recognise Henderson by his prosthetic leg, and mentions which leg it is. When Bond subsequently meets Henderson he whacks his leg with his walking stick, but gets the wrong leg. Henderson says “I’m glad you got it right”, which of course he didn’t.

                I’m just curious to know whether this scene (Bond being told about the leg) actually existed. If you come across this in your research I’d be grateful to know the answer. Or if anyone else knows?

                Many thanks.
                Big Figure

                This is interesting. Surely the scene would not have been removed as someone considered it in bad taste?

                I take that no one else here on Brit Movie, including the various Bond enthusiasts can shed any light on the subject?

                You Only Live Twice is not the only movie to have a scene mysteriously removed, that used to be seen in television transmissions. The sixties Casino Royale has a cut in Vesper’s bathroom when the giant eye of King Kong can be seen through a window. Plus, the second Matt Helm film, Murderer's Row, has the last scene missing where Helm and Suzie depart in his Ford Thunderbird and the readout on back of the vehicle plugs the following movie The Ambushers.
                Last edited by Mikey; 30th March 2017, 06:02 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                  Eon was the production company, so I imagine they would have production info. Hopefully one of these works:

                  Library Special Collections 310-825-4988 spec-coll@library.ucla.edu
                  Research Library 310-825-4732 yrl-circ@library.ucla.edu
                  Dave

                  You are an absolute star, first email address works perfectly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Glad to be of help, Mikey. I hope they have what you are looking for.

                    Big Figure-I just checked my copy of YOLT, and the bit with Bond whacking Henderson's leg is there, of course (20:53-21:00 on my copy). There is no dialogue where M tells 007 about the artificial leg during the submarine briefing, though. Maybe that was just in the novel (I haven't read it in a long while). Or perhaps it was deleted as superfluous (the days when filmmakers didn't have to explain the obvious).

                    I believe the Kong bit was removed from Casino Royale at Universal's request. So many bits were trimmed i nthat one, though, it could be an artifact of a longer scene that was removed (sort of like the brief glimpse of Ian Hendry's 006 being disposed of).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dave

                      Thanks for coming back again. Universal requesting the removal of King Kong eye shot (it only appeared on screen for several seconds at the most) in Casino Royale does seem logical.

                      However, I cannot work out what happened with Murderer’s Row. The copy of the film that is available through streaming sites and the DVD, both have the scene missing and unless the master print has been damaged I’m struggling to come up with a reason for its omission.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I saw "YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE" on the first Saturday at the Odeon, Leicester Square in June, 1967.
                        I recall no such scene, but what I do remember is, at the tail of the end credits, a different tag for the announcement for the next Bond, which was not "OHMSS". This was corrected soon after when it went on general release.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Stephen

                          Thanks for adding this thread. Do you remember what the original/planned film was going to be?

                          Or did it simply say, 'James Bond will return ...'

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                            Stephen

                            Thanks for adding this thread. Do you remember what the original/planned film was going to be?

                            Or did it simply say, 'James Bond will return ...'
                            Hi Mikey, I really don't remember. It could have been "Diamonds" or "Live and Let Die". Surely it must be mentioned somewhere in one of the Bond books?

                            If I remember correctly, the same happened at the end of "Goldfinger", plus the bomb time readout was 003 instead of 007 (or was it the other way around?) when I saw it at the Odeon, Leicester Square in 1964.

                            The background to the tag on "YOLT" was also different, although it might have been the same Japanese girl.
                            Last edited by Stephen Pickard; 1st April 2017, 11:29 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Stephen

                              Thanks for the additional information, its all good solid facts and I like that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X