Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Vintage Radios on Screen (continued)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Radios on Screen (continued)

Original thread:

Vintage Radios on Screen

As is my wont, I am including an image of the 'owner':

Sid James in Series 2 Episode 3 of Two in Clover (1970)

Sid has phoned in to David Hamilton's show to enter the 'Mystery Voice' competition:

This is a Regentone 7, circa 1960s.

Oddly enough, an HMV transistor radio appeared in an episode of The Morecambe and Wise Show earlier.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 1st April 2017, 11:11 PM.

Roger Moore is using the radio by his side to broadcast a discussion between President Alvarez
    (Martin Benson) and adviser Barry Morse in The Saint episode The Reluctant Revolution (1966):

The Pye logo was easy to identify but not the word next to it. I found out, eventually
    - Cambridge. 'Model 1108' was designed by Robin Day (not the presenter) in 1965:

Blog | Jocelyn Warner - Robin and Lucienne Day – Design and the Modern Interior

Comment

Welcome back to Britmovie, Tirzah Lowen:

David Hamiltonn is again the announcer in this flashback scene from the pilot of game show Whodunnit? (1972)

The sunbathing Tirzah's Bush is an Automaster VTR 165. She turns off the
      radio when she hears Alan 'Fluff' Freeman is going to present the next show!

BUSH VTR 165 AUTOMASTER - YouTube

Kiss Me (Sixpence None the Richer), my favourite song from the last 30 years, is briefly played.
      The only other songs I recognise are Bohemian Rhapsody, Sultans of Swing andBack to Black.
      Last edited by cornershop15; 14th December 2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

From our friend billy farmer:

In the scene below, Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and Dr Watson (Nigel Bruce), are listening to a report (on the Radio), about the disappearance of Alfred Pettibone aka John Grayson (Gerald Hamer).The screencap is from the film Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943), and features a vintage Radio, the screencap is from eleven minutes and thirty eight seconds into the film:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioinSherlockHolmesinWashington.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	51537

Comment

There are quite a few on display here, with their owners in increasing degrees of discontent:

Name:	1.png
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	51672Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	51673Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	51674Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	51675Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	51676

Clearly none of them are the Radio Lover of 1936.

Comment

A screencap from the Pathfinders episode In the Face of the Enemy (1973), featuring a Radio, in the scene below, Flying Officer Warwick (Dennis Waterman), is trying to teach Flight Lieutenant Benson (Ray Brooks), how to play Chess, Flight Lieutenant Benson, has been blinded in battle.

Comment

Welcome back billy. Pleased to see you at the new forum, at last. I was actually unaware Ray Brooks guest starred in Pathfinders, due to my never getting past episode 7 (Sitting Ducks). I lost interest in the rest of the series when I discovered the next one is mysteriously not included on the DVD. It does exist, according to LostShows.

Gerald, the radio in your fourth screencap from Radio Lover
              appears to be a Kolster-Brandes 'Pup' KB 253 (circa 1931):

Kolster-Brandes Ltd was an American owned, British manufacturer of radio and television sets based in Foots Cray, Sidcup, Kent.

(Wikipedia)
              Last edited by cornershop15; 20th December 2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

May I add my welcome to billy farmer on this forum, and also my thanks to cornershop for identifying the radio which the lady has; I hope it's the programme that's on rather than the sound quality that resulted in her reaction!

Comment

Sorry to darken the tone, Gerald, but your picture of the old lady seemingly driven mad by the radio is a disturbing reminder of a scene in What Became of Jack and Jill? (don't know if you've ever watched that film). Paul Nicholas, who played several villains early in his career, tries to convince his frail grandmother Mona Washbourne that there's a riot outside the house where they live. She becomes so terrified by the increasingly loud noise made by the advancing rioters that she drops dead from a heart attack.

In fact, the sounds are from a recording made by her grandson, who has wired up the front room, I think, to create an intolerable atmosphere coming from hidden speakers. An unpleasant scene if ever there was one. Typical of British movie-making in the early 1970s.

The Daily Mirror archives have helped me identify another of your Radio Lover radios.
                  I am pretty certain that's a Ferranti Nova Consolette (1935) in your screencap below:

Last edited by cornershop15; 20th December 2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

A screencap from the film The Spider Woman (1944), featuring a Radio, in the scene below, the Colonel - Robert (Stanley Logan), was listening to a News report, about the latest pyjama suicide.

Comment

I tried my hardest to find the other radios we've seen posted this week but no luck. There must have been hundreds of different models produced just between 1930-50. Two out of five from Radio Lover is probably better than you expected, Gerald.

Back on track with an identified radio and a recognisable actor (my kind of post). Here is
                      Gordon Gostelow in the first episode of The Protectors, Landscape with Bandits (1964):

That must be a Decca Debonaire Deluxe TP60 ("1961?"):

Comment

Here are some screencaps from the film Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942), featuring some Radios, in the scenes below, the people of Britain, are listening to a Radio broadcast of The Voice of Terror.

Comment

I shall always remember the first transistor radio I ever had. The year was 1963 and I was 16. It was a Cossor make and had medium wave and long wave on it and ran on two nine volt batteries. I used to take it under the bedclothes at night and listen to Radio Luxembourg on it, which kept fading in and out. What has stuck in my memory are the first words I heard spoken on it when I switched it on for the first time. I switched it on and a man’s voice said: “After brushing my teeth, I was given a moon flannel.”

Comment

Excellent research on the radios, cornershop. Here's one that features on the last 1967 episode of DR. FINLAY'S CASEBOOK, "The Public Patient":

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-12-24-18h50m34s954.png
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	51838

The model seems to change as the episodes do!

Comment

A couple more, this time from Old Bill & Son (1940):

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2017-12-26-20h39m19s619.png Views:	1 Size:	240.1 KB ID:	51878

Here Old Bill hears that war has been declared

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2017-12-26-20h40m58s947.png Views:	1 Size:	227.1 KB ID:	51879

And on this one in the pub, he gets a bright idea how an ancient buzzard like him can re-enlist.

Comment

Working...
                              X