X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gangster Story (1959) [USA]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053850/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangster_Story

Quoting IMDb: "Hoodlum Jack Martin is on the lam and robs a small town bank which brings the local cops and local crime boss into the mix."

Walter Matthau
    - starred (playing Jack Martin)
    - directed

A radio appears from 00:04:02 to 00:04:11 in a motel room
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Gangster_Story_00:04:02_pradio000c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	78337
    (movie still at 00:04:02)
    Last edited by lazarus6; 3rd October 2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• It's Child's Play for Carl Jaffé and Dorothy Alison in 1952 (though released in 1954) as Carl tries to clean the cat whiskers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-10-06-22h00m27s768.png
Views:	142
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	78495

Comment

• Really interesting thread!
        How about this one, from "A Clockwork Orange."
        (I have looked and looked online, and can't identify it - but it's definitely the most stylish item in the room!)

Comment

• Originally posted by ThomasDuckett View Post
          Really interesting thread!
          How about this one, from "A Clockwork Orange."
          (I have looked and looked online, and can't identify it - but it's definitely the most stylish item in the room!)
          The logo on the bottom left could be Philips.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark O View Post

The logo on the bottom left could be Philips.
            It's too fuzzy to be absolutely sure, but the shape does suggest Philips.

Comment

• ThomasDuckett
              ThomasDuckett commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not any Philips I could find an image of, sadly, but I did wonder about Philips, also Grundig.

It's not any Philips I could find an image of, sadly, but I did wonder about Philips, also Grundig.
            Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a Grundig, having a google round, Grundig seems to be the only company with the brand name on the lower left, the Radio's had different names, such as party boy, yacht boy, elite boy, etc; there's very similar looking ones on google images, but not the precise one, as far as I can gather.

Comment

• ThomasDuckett
              ThomasDuckett commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Grundig Melody Boy 210 or 400 is closest I can see so far, although the one in the film appears to have the antenna on the left, and the fascia doesn't match up to the (bad) photo. Thanks for the second pair of eyes.

(And with Kubrick, you always have to look out the hidden meaning - so, is Alex a 'melody boy', and does 210 reference 2001? It's also possible to overthink this...)

Yes. Grundig Melody Boy 210 or 400 is closest I can see so far, although the one in the film appears to have the antenna on the left, and the fascia doesn't match up to the (bad) photo. Thanks for the second pair of eyes.

(And with Kubrick, you always have to look out the hidden meaning - so, is Alex a 'melody boy', and does 210 reference 2001? It's also possible to overthink this...)
            It's a pleasure, my first job when I was 16 was in a Radio and Television shop, so the 70's stuff has stirred my interest, we sold Roberts, Fidelity, Ferguson, ITT, and many more brands at the time, many of which have now disappeared.

Fidelity were the cheapest brand, but they used to boast they were made in Britain.

Comment

• Malta Story (1953) [UK]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046029/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_Story

Quoting IMDb: "In World War II, the island of Malta, strategically located and vital to supply lines in the Mediterranean Sea, is fiercely attacked by the Germans, but staunchly defended by the British."

The film can be found at:

https://archive.org/details/MaltaStory

Flight Lieutenant Peter Ross (Alec Guinness) ends up in Malta and falls in love with a local woman (Muriel Pavlow) whose family's home has a radio. It appears from 00:25:20 to 00:27:11, 00:40:50 to 00:40:54, 00:59:06 to 01:03:04 and 01:08:10 to 01:08:47 in multiple scenes.

Even though it is not very clear this is the best angled view of the radio giving an idea of it's depth:

Name:	Malta_Story_00:25:53_pradio00.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	79452
              (movie still at 00:25:53)

Most detailed frontal view of the radio:

Name:	Malta_Story_00:59:16_pradio00.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	79453
              (movie still at 00:59:16)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-19-19h52m26s482.png
Views:	84
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	80555

Mary Jones turns up the volume of "Rockin' the Blues" by Buster Harding and Earl Warren to drown out her sorrows with gloomy husband Philip Gilbert when there's an Account Rendered in 1957.

Comment

• Sapphire (1959) (UK)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053242/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_(film)

Quoting IMDb: "The murder of a young woman in London exposes deep racial tensions and prejudices inherent in the area."

The murdered woman Sapphire (Yvonne Buckingham) boyfriend and then prime suspect David Harris (Paul Massie) family's household radio is partially seen several times but only fully appears from 01:19:52 to 01:19:56.

A pensive David Harris awaits the scene where the investigating police inspector solves the crime.

Name:	Sapphire_01:19:54_vradio00.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	80683
                  (movie still at 01:19:54)
                  Last edited by lazarus6; 22nd November 2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Inspector Richard Warner checks the bandwidth of The Large Rope in 1954:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-22-15h54m01s067.png
Views:	75
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	80690
                    Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 22nd November 2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• I don’t have the pictures here to display. In the 1950 film, When worlds collide, and the 1953 film, War of the worlds, each film had individuals listening to a radio. I think that scene was stock footage. Booth scenes were the same.

Comment

• Belated thanks. Hopefully someone can provide images for us to identify the radios.

Something different to end the year. An attractive ad for the BUSH TR 106 (1962):

Name:	BUSH TR 106 transistor radio ad, 1962 (mcrfb.com).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	82480

As seen in Val Guest's 80,000 Suspects, made the following year:

Name:	BUSH TR 106 in 80,000 Suspects.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	82481

This is the reception desk of the Theatre Royal, Bath where the pantomime Mother Goose was being staged.

Comment

• Although the stories shown in OVERSEAS PRESS CLUB or EXCLUSIVE! are set during or soon after the Second World War, and some genuine Eurpoean locations were filmed, there seems little attempt to depict a period setting as opposed to the contemporary (1957) look of the thing. For that reason, I don't know if the radio on the shelf behind an escaping David Hannaford, "The Littlest Sergeant", is in period or not:

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-01-02-19h32m23s449.png
Views:	44
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	82587

Comment

• Michael Wilding tries to settle down Nicholas Phipps so they can peacefully listen in to "MRS. DALE'S DIARY" when it's Maytime in Mayfair in 1949:

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-01-26-14h29m16s957.png
Views:	51
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	83799

Comment

Working...
                            X