Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerald Lovell
    replied
    Excellent stuff, cornershop, and a great picture of Norman.

A couple of radios featured in Alfie (1965), the latter having a significant plot point:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-04-06-21h01m44s621.png
Views:	14
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	87304

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-04-06-21h05m27s253.png
Views:	8
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	87305

Julia Foster with Michael Caine in the first image.

Leave a comment:

• cornershop15
    replied
    Good evening, Gerald. No, that's a new addition to the Vintage Radio threads - and my Public Eye 'Connections' folder.

The Ferguson logo helped me to identify this as their 621U model from 1959 (shown in white at Radio Museum):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ferguson 621U (GB, 1959) (oldradio.hu).jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	87028

I should create a Norman Bird 'Connections' folder! My favourite character actor in my favourite TV series:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Norman Bird, c1970s with added Ferguson 621U.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	87029

A better choice of music for our Norman to listen to on his now identified radio:

Design - Willow Stream [1970]
    Last edited by cornershop15; 31st March 2020, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gerald Lovell
    replied
    Norman Bird's set (which plays extremely cheesy music) in "Lifer", an excellent episode of PUBLIC EYE:

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-03-31-16h53m51s807.png
Views:	23
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	87016

Apologies if we've had this one before.

Leave a comment:

• Gerald Lovell
    replied
    Yvonne Mitchell went to Turn the Key Softly in 1953:

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-03-28-21h57m50s350.png
Views:	29
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	86879

And got "Plaisir d'Amour" on Classic FM.

Leave a comment:

• Gerald Lovell
    replied
    Two nice ones in the Ministry of Information short Miss Knowall (1940):

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-03-27-21h15m07s945.png
Views:	33
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	86739

Phyllis Morgan tunes in between the baked beans

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-03-27-21h15m20s423.png
Views:	31
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	86740

And Martita Hunt is tuned out by Mark Daly.

Leave a comment:

• cornershop15
    replied
    Hello again. I think that's a Philips 634A ("France 1933-34"):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Philips 634A (France, 1933-34)  (radiomuseum.org).jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	86510

"Later nicknamed 'The Ovaltine Set' "

Credited at Catawiki as a 'Philips 634A Lentebode',.

Leave a comment:

• lazarus6
    replied
    These Foolish Things (2006) [UK]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439848/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_...h_Things_(film)

According to Wikipedia: "romantic drama film directed by Julia Taylor-Stanley and starring Zoƫ Tapper, David Leon, Lauren Bacall, Anjelica Huston, Terence Stamp, Andrew Lincoln, Eve Myles, Jamie Glover and Julia McKenzie...Set in 1930s England, a struggling young actress, a fledgling director and an ambitious playwright become embroiled in an emotional love triangle as they strive for recognition, fame and fortune in a world on the brink of World War II."

A parlour radio seen in multiple scenes from 00:13:43-00:15:13, and from 01:28:35-01:28:56

Name:	These_Foolish_Things_(2006)_01:28:35.915_bmmbvradio00.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	86507
    (film still at 01:28:35)

Leave a comment:

• Gerald Lovell
    replied
    Edward Woodward wakes up in Callan (1974) and is shocked to realise he's missed "THE ARCHERS":

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-03-21-16h28m47s767.png
Views:	61
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	86324

Leave a comment:

• cornershop15
    replied
    Bob Hope in 'The Big Broadcast of 1938'

His very first scene in a feature film, co-starring W.C. Fields and Martha Raye:

Name:	Bob Hope in The Big Broadcast of 1938.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	85844

A misleading image! Only half of the radio is shown when Bob's facing the camera (which pans slightly
    to the right as he turns up the volume) so this is a combination of two screencaps. Can you see the join?

More than 80 years later, I seem to be the only person who has pointed out/identified the
    magazine he's reading as House Beautiful (Oct 1937) and the radio a Packard-Bell 35-H:

Name:	Packard-Bell 35-H, c1937.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	85845

The brand name is missing, or has been painted over, in the film's model. This is over my head
    but I have established that above the obscured word 'Stationized' is the 'Magic Eye' indicator.

In a later scene, Dorothy Lamour's voice emanates from the radio Bob is leaning on. He tells the cruise
    ship's passengers that it is (being picked up via) "remote control". So is this a remote control receiver?:

Name:	Bob Hope with remote control receiver in The Big Broadcast of 1938.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	85846

Wonderful film, by the way. Added to my very short list of new favourites:

The Big Broadcast of 1938 on YouTube

Leave a comment:

• cornershop15
    replied
    Well done with that one Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbsup.gif Views:	0 Size:	486 Bytes ID:	85487
    Originally posted by lazarus6 View Post
    I had a few transceivers lined up...

You can still create a separate thread for them if you wish. They're not as attractive to look at, in my opinion, but I look forward to seeing your discoveries.

"1930s to Mid-1970s"is a longer timespan than most people regard as their favourite years. I do have some interest in the decades that 'bookend' them (if that's the word) and. in addition to radios, have posted later book and album covers, and even 19th Century posters and paintings at other threads. It's just that my knowledge/experience of 1920s and '80s popular culture isn't as good.

I totally agree about the "sameness" of post-1980s products, notably 'phones that are covered by hands. As some of the members here will remember, I like to see actors looking important holding a bakelite or candlestick receiver against their ears.

By "wooden radio" I presume you mean that it was functional but that the case was made of wood?
    This is the kind of radio I've had in mind, and researched all day without success.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Philco Model 41-221 Radio (1941).jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	85488

I've now given up trying to find it and am going to watch McMillan and Wife to cheer me up.

Last edited by cornershop15; 28th February 2020, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lazarus6
    replied
    Downton Abbey (s05e02) [UK]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606375/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 (series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton_Abbey (series)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3666186/?ref_=fn_ep_tt_6 (episode)

Quoting from IMDb (series): "A chronicle of the lives of the British aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the early twentieth century."

Among other happenings in the s05e02 episode a radio is finally allowed to be very reluctantly rented so that the household can listen to King George V. This is the first time a British monarch speaks to his subjects by 'wireless' which occurs during the opening ceremony of the British Empire Exhibition on April 23, 1924.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Series_5_(2014), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Exhibition)

Downton Abbey 5: A Scene from Episode 2

Click image for larger version  Name:	Downton_Abbey_s05e02_excerpt_00:00:19_vradi  o00.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.3 KB ID:	85466 (episode excerpt at 00:00:19)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Downton_Abbey_s05e02_excerpt_00:00:37_vradi  o00c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	85467
    (episode excerpt closeup at 00:00:37)

It appears to be a Gecophone BC3400 built in 1923 (https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/genera...e_bc_3400.html)

One of the 8 downloadable images available from the Radio Museum web site mentioned above
    Click image for larger version  Name:	gecophone_bc3400_2196953.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.8 KB ID:	85468
    Last edited by lazarus6; 28th February 2020, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lazarus6
    replied
    With reference to the reply post by cornershop15 (Yesterday, 04:59 PM #165 p11) to my questions about this thread:

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Hello again. To answer your first question, and showing my own ignorance of this subject, I didn't know what Transceivers looked like until you mentioned them. From what I've seen at Google Images, all I can say is "Let's concentrate on re-ceivers, please". Identfying those is difficult enough!
    Pity - I had a few transceivers lined up...

"Vintage" is a personal preference, really. I like being interested in things from a bygone era, preferably 1930s to the mid-1970s, and am out of my depth with current technology, such as smartphones and Blu-Ray players
    Looks like a good year range to me but may I suggest that the lower end be moved to the mid 1920s. I hope to influence your decision with the post that follows this one which is for a 1924 radio.

And if you think post mid-1970s is not to be included when one finally considers modern technology - there is a numbing sameness to a lot of the entries in product ranges these days from smart phones to commercial aircraft.

I have a question for you: What are you seeing in that image from The Intimate Stranger? At first glance, it looked like a record player but zooming in I now think it may be a wooden radio with a couple of magazines coverng the top:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Radio in Finger of Guilt aka The Intimate Stranger (1956).jpg Views:	10 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	85434
    I at first also suspected that this item was actually a record player too. Looking at the right side of the alcove did not give me the impression that it was deep - certainly not enough room for a record player. Unfortunately this was the only camera angle used for this portion of the room. Therefore I reluctantly decided that it "could" be a radio - but I did hedge my bet by starting the sentence with "What appears to be a". And yes it looks like it does have several magazines draped over it.

By "wooden radio" I presume you mean that it was functional but that the case was made of wood?

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive response.
    Last edited by lazarus6; 28th February 2020, 08:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cornershop15
    replied
    Hello again. To answer your first question, and showing my own ignorance of this subject, I didn't know what Transceivers looked like until you mentioned them. From what I've seen at Google Images, all I can say is "Let's concentrate on re-ceivers, please". Identfying those is difficult enough!

"Vintage" is a personal preference, really. I like being interested in things from a bygone era, preferably 1930s to the mid-1970s, and am out of my depth with current technology, such as smartphones and Blu-Ray players

I have a question for you: What are you seeing in that image from The Intimate Stranger? At first glance, it looked like a record player but zooming in I now think it may be a wooden radio with a couple of magazines coverng the top:

Name:	Radio in Finger of Guilt aka The Intimate Stranger (1956).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	85434

Leave a comment:

• lazarus6
    replied
    Two questions if I may:

1) Is this "Vintage Radios on Screen (continued)" thread limited to only receivers or can transceiver sightings be posted as well?

2) What is regarded as vintage? One definition states anything at least 20 years old but at the time of this post would mean 2000 or before which I admit comes as a bit of a shock since that seems to be only yesterday so to speak...
    Last edited by lazarus6; 27th February 2020, 01:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lazarus6
    replied
    The Intimate Stranger (1956) [UK]
    aka Finger of Guilt (USA)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049210/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_In...ger_(1956_film)

Quoting IMDb: "A married movie studio executive's life, starts to fall apart when he is intimately stalked by a beautiful woman he claims he does not know."

The studio executive was Reginald 'Reggie' Wilson (Richard Basehart); his wife Lesley Wilson (Faith Brook); the stalker, Evelyn Stewart (Mary Murphy); and the head of the studio Ben Case (Roger Livesey) who was also Reggie's father in law just to complicate the issue.

What appears to be a portable radio can be seen on a shelf in Evelyn Stewart's flat from 00:34:10 to 00:35:59 in several scenes:

Name:	The_Intimate_Stranger_(1956)_00:35:59_vradio00b.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	85347
    (film still at 00:35:59)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X