Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Film Posters on Screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) Rachel Roberts passes a poster for The Bramble Bush (1960), although I can't find this exact poster depicted anywhere. There also seems to be one for British Mystery Week? That's what it looks like anyway.

Comment

I normally make a note of the website in any category that i'm on if by chance there's a film poster in the background-usually at traffic lights as I'm a transport enthusiast. Bramble Bush sticks in my memory but its not on Getty or Daily Mirror-damn. Think it might be on one of the Richard Burton tribute sites, displayed in a village setting next to a country bus stop (or similar)

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
        Hello Cornershop. Interesting thread. Yes, they are all Warners releases.
        Thanks, Tim. There is a bit more to do with The Human Jungle - Struggle for a Mind but we're on the right track with Warner. Posters for West 11, Dr. Crippen and an ad for Days of Wine and Roses can all be seen in a later shot, which I'll post soon.

Originally posted by taphonomy View Post
        In Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) Rachel Roberts passes a poster for The Bramble Bush (1960), although I can't find this exact poster depicted anywhere. There also seems to be one for British Mystery Week? That's what it looks like anyway.

"British Pottery Week" actually. On the right is the photo used for The Bramble Bush poster:

Featuring Richard Burton and Angie Dickinson, who apparently had an affair during filming (lucky him).

Comment

The venue in the Saturday Night/Sunday Morning grab is almost certainly the ABC Elite in Nottingham (the city centre branch)

Comment

"British Pottery Week" actually. On the right is the photo used for The Bramble Bush poster:
            Of course, although it sounds slightly duller than British Mystery Week? Personally I'm waiting for British Optician's Week so I can get my eyes tested.

Comment

Cinema display in 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'

More posters appear in the scene where Albert Finney and Shirley Anne Field are leaving a cinema.
              I've identified all but one of them. The top two are Mardi Gras (1958) and Stopover Tokyo (1957):

Pat Boone is in the former and also stars in.Journey to the Centre of the Earth (middle left
              and bottom right). Beside the lower copy is a poster for another 1959 film, Beloved Infidel:

Found the main photo anyway. There are similarities between the UK Quad for Journey and the illustration above, but the figures are placed differently. James Mason is third left on the poster, just behind Arlene Dahl. In the cropped screencap he's next to the taller figure of Peter Ronson, whose image has been reversed.

All four (identified) films were shown at the Carlton Cinema between December 1957 (Stopover Tokyo) and January 1960 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth). Unfortunately, I can't prove that the fourth poster was a Carlton release, having failed with my UK poster and cinema listings searches for that period. The half-missing title looks like "The Way ...". Or could it be The Best of Everything, which was shown there in 1959?

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
                All four (identified) films were shown at the Carlton Cinema between December 1957 (Stopover Tokyo) and January 1960 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth). Unfortunately, I can't prove that the fourth poster was a Carlton release, having failed with my UK poster and cinema listings searches for that period. The half-missing title looks like "The Way ...". Or could it be The Best of Everything, which was shown there in 1959?
                Hello Cornershop - I looked at the studio information for all of the films that you have identified, and they were all released by 20th Century Fox; The Best of Everything was as well. It opened in Britain, in November, 1959. This a UK poster I found for the film. http://frontrowposters.co.uk/prod_im...EVERYTHING.jpg

It doesn't quite match the graphic in the poster - quite difficult to see anyway - but I know there were many variations, so it is possible.

Comment

• cornershop15
                  cornershop15 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just noticed I didn't get back to you, Tim. Thanks for trying. I won't give up. There's still enough detail in that blurry image to recognise tthe poster if we do come across it somewhere.

The cinema was apparently The Savoy on Derby Road, Nottingham. I've been to that cinema several times during the 90s. It was an independent, mainstream cinema and had a great atmosphere.

This picture is from http://www.ciaranbrown.com/snasmlocations.html

A bit about the Savoy cinema http://www.nottinghampost.com/indepe...ail/story.html

The Savoy cinema on Derby Road, Nottingham in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Comment

DR terrors house of horrors

uniquiely its own film poster appears in the film , though its a mock up of official one !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	5342

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.0 KB ID:	5336

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	5337
                  Last edited by AlecLeamas; 20th May 2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Sad news recently with the death of Undermind star Jeremy Wilkin, who features in the first post. R.I.P.

Warren Berlinger, left, and Walter Maslow in the Johnny Staccato episode An Angry Young Man (1960):

The patrolman has a difficult time with the juvenile delinquent:

Behind Warren are posters for Yes Sir, That's My Baby and Johnny Stool Pigeon (both 1949):

Last edited by cornershop15; 18th February 2018, 12:30 AM. Reason: Difficulty resizing images.

Comment

Watching the brilliant Otley for the first time (what a joy) I noticed a number of film posters on the walls Leonard Rossiter and Tom Courtenay passed as they walked through the underground station ...

Name:	Millie.png
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	54358 shot of the poster, then Tom's reaction Click image for larger version

Name:	Millie react.png
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	54359
                      from this poster, obviously (or nearly ... actually the Otley is a bit different ... sorry ...

Name:	Millie real.png
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	54361
                      and also this one ...

Name:	Peppard.png
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	54360 where we can see this Click image for larger version

Name:	peppard real.png
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	54362 , but what's the one above it?

Comment

And finally ... Click image for larger version

Name:	Steele.png
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	54364 ​​​​​​​which is not a film, but I went to see that very production at that very time in that very city, so I'm allowing it.

Comment

but what's the one above it?
                          Charge of the Light Brigade - Click image for larger version

Name:	51QFWnuh2EL.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	54371
                          Attached Files

Comment

Have an original copy of Charge of the Light Brigade. Was a little worse for wear after my local cinema's presentation of it, but the bronze background does have a luxury feel to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                              Have an original copy of Charge of the Light Brigade. Was a little worse for wear after my local cinema's presentation of it, but the bronze background does have a luxury feel to it.
                              There was a discussion where the film cropped up a while back. I found the film a bit tiresome personally, but the poster was very striking. If I could get one as part of a bundle, then might be worth adding to the collection.

Comment

Working...
                              X