Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Another honour for Dame Judi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another honour for Dame Judi

British national treasure Dame Judi Dench is to receive the Kirk Douglas Award For Excellence In Film, at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival on November 30th. This prestigious award is in recognition for a wide portfolio of work rather than just one movie, and Dame Judi richly deserves to be honoured in this way.

Is there no end

Comment

I know this elderly Russian-American has a net worth of $60 million but I don't know how he can claim to have anything to do with "excellence"— as though that were something someone can gauge.

Despite that, I understand he and his colleagues seemed to be making inroads into British culture in the late 50s. They produced movie versions of plays by Shaw and Rattigan and they hired Scofield, Olivier, Redgrave, Carol Reed and Alexander Mackendrick.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
        I know this elderly Russian-American has a net worth of $60 million but I don't know how he can claim to have anything to do with "excellence"— as though that were something someone can gauge.

Despite that, I understand he and his colleagues seemed to be making inroads into British culture in the late 50s. They produced movie versions of plays by Shaw and Rattigan and they hired Scofield, Olivier, Redgrave, Carol Reed and Alexander Mackendrick.
        What a thoroughly odd post!

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

What a thoroughly odd post!
          Thank you for comment. But do you have anything to say about the subject of this thread?

Comment

Random insults against someone who can't defend himself and can't answer back

Also meaningless unless you can show that Kirk had anything to do with choosing who gets the award rather than just being named after him

I would award it nul points

Steve

Comment

Thank you for comment. But do you have anything to say about the subject of this thread?
              Well you obviously don't!
              Your post was only sarcasm towards Kirk Douglas -- "this elderly Russian-American with a nett worth of $60 million".
              What the heck does that have to do with "another honour for Dame Judi"?

And excellence is something no-one can gauge? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                ....And excellence is something no-one can gauge? Really?
                How do you gauge 'excellence'? Do you measure it with a ruler? Can you feel it in your bones?

Comment

This is a strange place.

Comment

Working...
                  X