Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Catchphrases/sayings that ALWAYS make you chuckle!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catchphrases/sayings that ALWAYS make you chuckle!

I've been reading through some of the topics on here and seen that one persons jolly old favourite is anothers CRINGE...CRINGE...CRINGE! (especially reading through the carry on films and on the buses comments). It got me thinking, there are certain sayings that i've heard on tv/films probably hundreds of times that i've chuckled at literally everytime i've heard or thought of them. A couple of examples are corporal jones off dads armys "don't panic, don't panic!" and bobby davro's impression of victor meldrews "i don't belieeeeeve it". (I know a lot of people won't appreciate my bobby davro example but for some reason it's always tickled me since i was a kid! it's also worth mentioning that i don't find the actual victor meldrew version half as funny when he says it!). Does anyone else on here have any other examples of sayings they never get bored of? I'd especially like to hear of a few guilty pleasures

I've already made my excuses about including Laurel and Hardy in this place (Stan British-born, Ollie of Yorkshire descent) so I won't disappoint, and say that "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" is the one that always brings a smile. And yes, it was always a NICE mess, not a "fine" mess, every time. It's true they made a movie called Another Fine Mess, but that's got nothing to do with Hardy's quotation. And there were some slight variations.
    I was doing some research into catch-phrases a while ago, to see where they started if possible, but of course comedy is timeless. I got back to the 16th century with "hey nonny no" but don't ask me what it means.
    In the "modern era" there is a case for saying that the old ITMA line "Can I do you now, sir?" counts as an early one, but George Galvin, aka Dan Leno, always (somehow) got laughs with "a hard-boiled egg" and even wrote a song based on it. Most folks will know that Dan Leno was Stan Laurel's hero, and Stan adapted the idea to the "hard boiled eggs and nuts" line in a famous L & H movie (County Hospital).
    Personally, I've always been a great fan of the Goons, and just a few of their gems are: "You dirty rotten swine, you", "he's fallen in the water" and "needle naddle-noo" which apparently is based on something very filthy from their time in the armed forces in a godforsaken desert outpost somewhere.
    I'll drop in an anecdote here based on an advertising slogan, which is much the same as a catch-phrase. In the common-room of a Saudi Arabia hotel many years ago I noticed a Brit I'd spoken to before, and he looked in a bit of a state. He worked for Jacksons. the company that makes Zubes throat lozenges, and he was tasked with getting the product into the Middle East. (Today you would start with Dubai, but then it was Saudi). The more venerable members here will know that ads for Zubes always ended with "Go suck a Zube", and some will know that in Arabic "zuba" is...er....what a boy has but a girl has not.
    The reason for his anxiety was that his application for an import licence had been rejected on the grounds that: "The product is not needed and the sales slogan is totally unacceptable." A case of not doing enough homework, as the lorry company Foden found out when they tried to sell in Brazil. I'll leave that one to the Portuguese speakers among us.
    This is a great topic for discussion and I hope we will end up with a lexicon of great catch-phrases. I watched the Youtube (shortened) video of Frankie Howerd at the Oxford Union the other day, and I was amused by the way he ridiculed himself with his famous catch-phrases, but which only he could deliver with any comedy value.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5rJGwxRCJE
    Last edited by Judge Foozle; 18th October 2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Aaahhhh Laurel and Hardy, i need to watch some of there films again Judge Foozle and you right "here's another fine mess" always makes me chuckle too!

I've just woke up and remembered another saying that i still say out loud sometimes when I'm excited....

"THE SNOZZBERRYS TASTE LIKE SNOZZBERRYS!"

This one's from Gene Wilder in Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory. There's a load from this film that still maked me chuckle and i say out loud to my long suffering wife.

By the way i have an anecdote too but it may be a bit off topic. I used to work on the phones in a UK call centre for a very big company who also had an offshore call centre in India. I know it can be a nightmare speaking to off shore contact centres but i found they were lovely people who were probably better than a lot of my UK colleagues at their jobs - it's just that because of the language and understanding barrier a lot of people had no patience! Anyway, part of their training was to learn and understand british sayings to build rapport with their customers. One subject was the good old great british weather and one adviser picked up "it's raining cats and dogs". He picked up another weather related phrase from watching a UK tv programme that's dubbed into their local language in India (I've no idea which one). It didn't go down well when the managers listened to his calls and heard him saying "I've heard it's pissing down with rain in England at the minute". Luckily he kept his job, but I thought it was hilarious when I heard this!

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Foozle View Post
        I've already made my excuses about including Laurel and Hardy in this place (Stan British-born, Ollie of Yorkshire descent) so I won't disappoint, and say that "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" is the one that always brings a smile.
        Another one of Ollie's phrases which he comes out with when he appears to be attempting a simple task without much success, and he says to Stan "don't just stand there looking at me, do something to help me!"
        Timeless comedy without a doubt.

Comment

I'm duty-bound to reiterate that it's "another NICE mess", perhaps another reason for checking out some of the movies. I must say I've always found the (BT) call centre folks in India very knowledgeable and mostly very good with English.
          In doing my unofficial research I found a catch-phrase attributed to Jimmy Edwards, who was hardly off the TV screen a few decades ago. Apparently his catch-phrase was "a mauve one" referring to wine gums, but I can't say I ever heard it. A very prominent one around that time was Tommy Trinder's "You lucky people" and in Kenneth Williams' younger days at the time he was prone to add "no, stop messing about" everywhere. A bit earlier, there was Arthur Askey, with "before your very eyes" and "I thank you" in a stylised way. Just to break the all-male emphasis, Hylda Baker was always expected to say "She knows, you know" in her act with "Cynthia", which thwarts my intention as "Cynthia" was always a male, latterly a young Matthew Kelly.

Comment

I was only thinking to myself the other day, when DID comedy catchphrases die out? Because, sadly, it seems they have done....or at least, I no longer pick up on them. I don't watch a lot of modern comedy, but it strikes me that neither sitcoms nor stand up feature anywhere near as many tried and tested phrases as they once did.

I get the impression that they are rather sneered at - or at best, patronisingly tolerated - by today's more sophisticated comics and comedy writers, who appear to deem them a lazy device and rather embarrassing. Yet the comedy pantheon was awash with them once upon a time; indeed the recently departed Bruce Forsyth had several all to himself, with which he was instantly identified. Dad's Army was surely so beloved at least in part because of the many warmly anticipated, familiar catchphrases spread generously but individually among the cast.

One that never fails to make me chuckle to this day, though not for the right reason, is big hearted Arthur Askey's "Hello playmates!" it tickles me because, in the 60s and 70s in our living room it was invariably followed by a groan from my normally tolerant mother, who, on hearing that chirpy phrase as Arthur bustled on screen, would immediately get up and leave the room. She couldn't stand him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
              I was only thinking to myself the other day, when DID comedy catchphrases die out? Because, sadly, it seems they have done....
              What about shows like “Upstart Crow” starring David Mitchell and written by Ben Elton?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                What about shows like “Upstart Crow” starring David Mitchell and written by Ben Elton?

Steve

Since I've always felt that Ben Elton does for comedy what Val Doonican did for thrash metal, I've tended to steer clear of this alleged sitcom.
                But in the two or three (at most) episodes* I've managed to endure, I can't recall any recurring catchphrase?

(*Reinforced my conviction that Richard Curtis must have been the one who brought the funny bits to BlackAdder)

Comment

What about The Fast Show? Surely that was reverse-engineered catchphrase comedy?
                  They started off with a catchphrase for each character, and then worked their way to it from various situations in short sketches,

I remember watching the very first episode and thinking it was very weak, but of course, as they rely on repetition for effect, the relevant catchphrases hadn't yet been heard often enough.
                  By, say, episode five, the characters had all been seen before and the catchphrases were familiar.

Like it or loathe it, The Fast Show used the humble catchphrase as a launchpad for sketch comedy.

Comment

The catchphrases of The Fast Show (regular episodes of which are themselves, staggeringly, about twenty years old now) were unusually vacuous, being unfunny to begin with and tracking back, as taphonomy astutely observed, to generate a source character....who sadly in my opinion was inevitably even less funny than the catchphrase itself.

To my mind The Fast Show did for belly laughs what Stephen Hawking did for Olympic pole vaulting.

Slightly funnier and a decade more recent we got Little Britain with it's own crop of humourless catchphrases ("Yeah but no but yeah but", "I'm the only gay in the village", "I want that one", "Computer says no" etc etc) but the golden age of the catchphrase was already a memory by then and by this stage was being peddled in a sort of postmodern, ironic piss-take sort of way.

I can still burst out laughing at the great Dick Emery mincing into view with the greeting "Oh hello Honky-Tonks, how are you?" simple, stereotypical, un-PC and dated. But funny.

Comment

Not sure that it counts as a catchphrase, but I always thought Dave Allen's "Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you" was special.
                      I think it said a lot about the man and the way he thought.

It wasn't very funny though.

Comment

'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Only said once but always hillarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
                          'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Only said once but always hillarious.
                          That's an interesting idea, things that are only said once and yet have become iconic.

'Don't tell him Pike!'

Comment

"Have a nice day" "I won't" - Reggie Perrin. I say it now. Everyday. Also plenty from Carry On Films and Alan Partridge.

Comment

How about The Royle Familys Jim 'my arse' Royle, that's his most famous catchphrase.

Comment

Working...
                              X