Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Distribution of '59/'60 British MGM Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution of '59/'60 British MGM Movies

I am attempting to compare the screenings of 'Village of the Damned' with the other British MGM productions made before and after it.

Here is what I have so far.

What I am looking for is information about initial screening and general release. Were they first features, parts of double bills or supporting features.

THE DAY THEY ROBBED THE BANK OF ENGLAND
    Production: September/October ‘59
    BBFC: 09/03/1960
    Review: Leicester Square Theatre, 17/5/60

INVASION QUARTET
    Production: May ‘60
    BBFC: 28/03/1961
    Review: USA 16/8/61
    Screened London, Coliseum 9/10/61

THE GREEN HELMET
    Production: June ‘60
    BBFC: 19/12/1960
    World premiere in aid of the British Motoring Sport Relief Fund at a midnight gala at the Ritz, Leicester Square, on May 7, 1961

THE SECRET PARTNER
    Production: September ‘60
    BBFC: 13/01/1961
    Reviewed MGM Offices, London 30/5/61
    Reviewed MGM Culver City, 1/3/61

Invasion Quartet supported Seven Brides for Seven Brothers at the Coliseum, as you say in October 1961.

Comment

A little more information about the release of The Secret Partner. It replaced Where the Boys Are at the Ritz on 25th May 1961, running until 14th June (on its own). Ring of Fire took over the following day.

Comment

From what I can gather:

"The Day They Robbed the bank of England" was paired with "The Law and Jake Wade" for general release July '60
        "The Green Helmet" was paired with "Where the Boys Are" for general release August '61
        "The Secret Partner" was paired with "Ring of Fire" November '61
        "Invasion Quartet" was paired with "Ada" for general release January '62

The old Glenn Ford movie "Time Bomb" was paired with "Village of the Damned" for that film's general release.

Last edited by Anthony McKay; 7th January 2018, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Day they Robbed the Bank of England lasted on first-run (at the Leicester Square Theatre) from May 19th to June 8th when replaced by Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn in John Huston's 'Unforgiven'.

It might be an exclusive choice by cinemas in the Midlands, but the choice of pairing for 'Bank of England' at the Odeon Stafford was Glenn Ford in
          "The Sheepman"
          https://www.search.staffspasttrack.o...rd&SortOrder=2

I have the listings for all the West End cinemas for the first half (only) of 1960 (only) but then all West End listings for each year 1966-76.

Comment

Time Bomb (Terror On A Train) was 1953.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
              Time Bomb (Terror On A Train) was 1953.
              Aberdeen October1960 - 'The Hand' (A) with Derek Bond.

Aberdeen May 1961 - 'Time Bomb' (U) - both films are MGM British and feature time bombs.

Last edited by Anthony McKay; 10th January 2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

"The Day They Robbed The Bank Of England". When I saw that title, it took me back to winter 1959. I was serving in the Coldstream Guards, and was based at Wellington Barracks, in London. We were asked to take part in the film, and a regular visitor to our mess was Jess Conrad. Happy memories of that production.

Comment

Were the uniforms costumes or were they provided by the regiment?Click image for larger version

Name:	er00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	54679

Comment

They are real, actual Guardsmen. We received a token payment as I recall. But, yes we were all serving Household Brigade.

Comment

Did you see any sign, of, the virtually unknown, Peter O'Toole?

Comment

No, he wasn't at Wellington Barracks while we were filming.

Comment

Working...
                        X