Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The 'A' film classification in 1960

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
    Worst case was when you'd go with a bunch of mates and some would get in, while others were turned away. Real conflict of loyalties and some hilarious stories of panicked teenagers trying to bluff their way past jaded cinema staff.
    That happened to me once when we went to see The Incredible Melting Man, which was a AA. Most of us - including the 13-year of me - were admitted, but one was turned away for looking too young. Ironically, he was actually 14 at the time, but couldn't prove it!

Comment

i think the lead film to the Melting man double-presentation was The Savage Bees. If the main performance had been Julie Andrews in whatever then the subsequent title would have been innocuous The AA Certificate was for 15 and over? Think Beneath the Planet of the Apes was the first under this new rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
        i think the lead film to the Melting man double-presentation was The Savage Bees. If the main performance had been Julie Andrews in whatever then the subsequent title would have been innocuous
        Yes, it was The Savage Bees, and both films were AAs, although The Incredible Melting Man was upgraded to an 18 for video release in 1986.

The AA Certificate was for 15 and over?
        No, it was 14 and over. The AA was replaced with the 15, meaning that over-night a lot of 14 year olds were excluded from films that they could previously have seen quite legally.

Think Beneath the Planet of the Apes was the first under this new rule.
        No, because Beneath was an A, which it got on 9 April 1970, while the AA was not introduced - and the A and X criteria changed - until 1 July 1970. That said, the BBFC website does show a small number of titles getting AAs prior to that date, i.e.:

Pendulum - 20 December 1968
        The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - 14 January 1969
        Sam Whiskey - 14 February 1969
        Fraulein Doktor - 11 March 1969
        The Betrayal - 11 March 1969
        The Reivers - 16 January 1970

I suspect that some or all of these may be transcription errors.

It's interesting to note that the George Peppard film P.J. was certified as an X on 19 January 1968, and then recertified as New Face in Hell as a AA on 1 July 1970. Both submission were the same length, and passed with unspecified cuts, so it's not clear if the re-release was more cut than the original release.
        Last edited by Nick Cooper; 1st February 2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X