Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

London screening for a Hammer classic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London screening for a Hammer classic

Hammer films come up a lot on here, but this one is a bit unusual. "The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires" was made by Hammer as a co-production with Shaw Brothers of Hong Kong. It was made just after Bruce Lee had burst on the scene and subsequently died, just before the release of Enter The Dragon. This film is a real oddity and from my memory it doesn't quite succeed in capturing the best of horror and kung fu together, but it makes a good stab at it. And of course, anything with Peter Cushing is worth watching.
    There is a screening coming up in a few days time and if anyone is interested, here are the details I saw on a Facebook page;

"SATURDAY 7th JULY 2018

Welcome to another screening at World Wide Weird!
    READ to the BOTTOM for SHOWTIMES

WARNING neither film is for the squeamish or fainthearted!

This will be a very exciting event indeed.
    'The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires' (1974) is one of the last Hammer Horror films and one of the best. An amazing fusion of the very iconic British Hammer and the truly legendary Hong Kong Shaw bro's martial arts.

Unlike our usual screenings the film will be screened from a pristine 16mm print thanks to Mark Williams, co director of VHS forever Psychotronic People and Murray.

But the biggest treat is the opportunity to chat to Renee Glynne who has had the most incredible film career one could imagine from the mid 1940s to the present.

Renee will share her stories and experiences of working on 'The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires' as well as the rest of her vast back catalogue of film work in continuity and script supervising.

Finally Renee had also chosen another film she worked as the supporting feature 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End' (1980) which is by all accounts a rather eccentric, and not frequently seen British film.

As always the screening will be absolutely FREE. However we will be collecting donations for Macmillan Cancer Nurses and Prostate Cancer Research.

Seating is LIMITED to 40 and is on a first come first served basis.

SHOWTIMES

6.00 PM 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End'

8.15 PM Q&A with Renee Glynne

9.00 PM 'The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires'
    Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 4th July 2018, 06:11 PM.

(Sorted the error... it missed off the last few lines when they used an emoji that this site didn't recognise.)
    Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 4th July 2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires could be called a classic , but it is good for a pub trivia quiz question: "In which Hammer Dracula film did Christopher Lee not play the Count?". (The Brides of Dracula and Countess Dracula don't count as there's no Count!!).
      Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 5th July 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Can't see from that post where it's actually showing.

Comment

Ooops. opne of the problems of stupid Facebook, and stupid people like me who don't know how it works. Apparently this is hosted by a group called World Wide Weird "a group dedicated to the enjoyment and celebration of lesser known cinematic treasures of world cinema" who do events like this. The venue is;

King & Queen
          1 Foley Street, W1W 6 London, United Kingdom

... which appears to be a Pub. Note that the seating is limited to 40. All a bit curious, isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
            Ooops. opne of the problems of stupid Facebook, and stupid people like me who don't know how it works. Apparently this is hosted by a group called World Wide Weird "a group dedicated to the enjoyment and celebration of lesser known cinematic treasures of world cinema" who do events like this. The venue is;

King & Queen
            1 Foley Street, W1W 6 London, United Kingdom

... which appears to be a Pub. Note that the seating is limited to 40. All a bit curious, isn't it.
            I'm thinking 40 is way beyond what I would expect to show up to see essentially a second rate movie, even by Hammer standards, and one that has been freely available on various format.

Comment

There are strange people out there. Some of them actually enjoy watching films in a group environment. Some of them get a kick out of watching the obscure, odd, weird and wonderful. I like the idea that there is someone out there trying to cater for such tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                There are strange people out there. Some of them actually enjoy watching films in a group environment. Some of them get a kick out of watching the obscure, odd, weird and wonderful. I like the idea that there is someone out there trying to cater for such tastes.
                Absolutely agree, and I note your avatar, but of all the films they could have picked, why this one? I saw it in an empty cinema when it first came out and thought it was rubbish then. Thee are so many better films, Hammer and otherwise, for the horror buffs to get their teeth into.

On the plus side, nice to seen Renee Glynne making a personal appearance at the age of ninety two

Comment

Working...
                X