Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Did British Actors of Old Drink So Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
    Drinking to excess is something I've never been able to understand.
    Likewise. Over-indulging in anything is something I abhor

Comment

Thanks Tigon Man for mentioning my biography of Ian Hendry. Have you also left a review somewhere? It would be great if you could. Please also recommend it to others. cheers! As for the drinking ... well, it went with the times ...

Comment

• Tigon Man
        Tigon Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I've now submitted a review on Amazon, Under my Tigon Man Nom de Plume.

• Hersheybar67
        Hersheybar67 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the excellent review which I have now seen!

You used my recollection of Hendry,drunk,in the old Prince of Wales,which I posted on the old forum.

Comment

• Hersheybar67
        Hersheybar67 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, thanks for that, sadly, quite a lot of people bumped into Ian in pubs when he was drunk. He seemed to be known to many people in pubs in the North London area

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
      You used my recollection of Hendry,drunk,in the old Prince of Wales,which I posted on the old forum.
      If that is the pub on the corner of Princes Park Avenue off Golders Green Road I also met Ian Hendry there.

Comment

• Hersheybar67
        Hersheybar67 commented
        Editing a comment
        You probably did. Was it the Albert? Most of those pubs have now closed. I have also met people who told me that they had to carry Ian out of pubs and back home. Sad in a way given that he was such a talented guy.

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

Not only the stage but also the big screen. In Roger Moore's autobiography he tells of Bernard Lee having more than the odd quick one before shooting scenes in the James Bond series of films.

NB. I've just had my evening glass of Cellier des Dauphins (£5.50 from Sainsbury) to steady my nerve for tonight's episode of Spooks on London Live !!!
      Cellier des Dauphins is now £5.75

Comment

Why Did British Actors of Old Drink So Much?
        Because they hadn’t discovered cocaine

Steve

Comment

Flynn used to eat oranges on set while waiting about between takes. The Warner top brass thought this was fine, even healthy living. According to legend he had them injected with vodka. In Dennis Watermans biography he tells of a break in filming of an episode of The Sweeney. John Thaw and himself went to a pub for a quick drink. They met Ian Hendry and Alan Lake who had the same idea hand arrived before them. Both men were sat at a table with full half pint glasses in front of them. Waterman said to Thaw "Shall we have the same as them?" On hearing this Hendry replied "It's not beer, It's Brandy"

Comment

• Hersheybar67
            Hersheybar67 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that's true and in my biography, Send in the Clowns. Ian and Alan Lake died a few weeks apart from each other.

Sadly all apart from Waterman died young.

Comment

Originally posted by Toscana View Post
            Flynn used to eat oranges on set while waiting about between takes. The Warner top brass thought this was fine, even healthy living. According to legend he had them injected with vodka. In Dennis Watermans biography he tells of a break in filming of an episode of The Sweeney. John Thaw and himself went to a pub for a quick drink. They met Ian Hendry and Alan Lake who had the same idea hand arrived before them. Both men were sat at a table with full half pint glasses in front of them. Waterman said to Thaw "Shall we have the same as them?" On hearing this Hendry replied "It's not beer, It's Brandy"
            That must have been for the very first Sweeney episode which I think from memory was called Ringer. Ian Hendry seemed to have very slightly slurred speech in that one unless that was how his character was meant to speak.

Comment

It was the first episode. Amongst the stories told of Ringer, was one where Alan Lake brained John Thaw a bit too hard with the prop iron bar, which still hurt.
              Lakey later got a kicking from the stunt boys for misbehaving.
              Gabriel Hershman, Ian's biographer thought that the slurred speech was part of the character, which it might well have been, but I'm not convinced.
              Ian later had to drive a Capri briefly in that episode, which must have been hairy after the brandy!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                Drinking to excess is something I've never been able to understand.
                I'll drink to that!

Comment

Maybe all of them to feel a bit drunk.

Comment

Here's an article from the Guardian on the subject of Hellraisers.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...rs-breed-apart

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
                      Here's an article from the Guardian on the subject of Hellraisers.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...rs-breed-apart

Nick
                      Blimey, Eileen Atkins and Colin Farrell...who would have thought?

Comment

Working...
                      X