Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Odeon Leicester Square reopens next month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odeon Leicester Square reopens next month

At long last the refurbished Odeon is to reopen.Hope they redid the foyer which reminds me of the inside of a fridge.

Great. It is also being rebranded as Odeon Luxe, Leicester Square and will have a new capacity of about 800 now that it is fitted with recliner seats.

The adjacent Studio cinemas have also been reconfigured and refurbished into 4 cinemas, instead of 5. They are also being rebranded as Odeons 2, 3, 4 and 5. The combined capacity is given as 116, so if all the cinemas are the same, each will have just 29 recliner seats.

Comment

800 seats in the Odeon Leicester Square! Dear oh dear, have attendances declined to such an extent. Apparently, the rear stalls has been turned over to retail space and switch rooms. I am amazed at the current practice of massively reducing seating capacity by cinema chains, multiplexes which had a couple of thousand seats are being reduced to about seven hundred, they can't double prices so how can they earn money by reducing capacity. The days of big premieres are obviously over as film companies will look to other venues such as the Royal Albert Hall, a highly unsatisfactory "cinema", for such events (as has happened with the last couple of Bond movies).

Comment

• Toscana
        Toscana commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky enough to get tickets for Bond premier of "Licence To Kill" at the Odeon through The Princes Trust. Boiling hot night and no aircon. Hope they prem the next Bond back at the Odeon as Leicester Square is such a great setting for them.

The problem with the Odeon Leicester square is that it is not listed so they can do what they like with it,as they have shown in the past.I wonder if the flying horses are still there?

Comment

A news release about the cinema
        https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1107005174/en/

I can understand anyone being sceptical about the changes. To me, this looks as if they are doing a good job. It will be AMC's flagship cinema in Britain so the money may be well spent.

Comment

Fond memories of it in my youth dashing out of drama school. Oh the passing years....

Comment

The top price for tickets will be £40.75.By my calculation that is approximately 200 times the price i paid to sit in the circle in the AB C Golders Green in 1961

Comment

That's a criminal ticket price.

Blackpool Odeon is £5.50 all day long any seat with some excellent staff I may say.

Comment

Lots of wealthy folks in London who can well afford it ! Compared with a top West End show the price is reasonable for many ...

They can always offer special promotions to fill seats if they need to...

Comment

Yes!that's the way they are trying to sell it.Frankly I don't accept this comparison.Its just a way of getting the public to pay for the refurbishment.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                    .Its just a way of getting the public to pay for the refurbishment.
                    Isn't that how business works?

Comment

Yes!that's the way they are trying to sell it.Frankly I don't accept this comparison.Its just a way of getting the public to pay for the refurbishment.
                      Who were you expecting to pay for it?

Comment

OK so are you going to be the first in line to pay?Or are you going to watch it at your local cinema for a tenner,or buy it on DVD or get it on a streaming service?

Comment

OK so are you going to be the first in line to pay?Or are you going to watch it at your local cinema for a tenner,or buy it on DVD or get it on a streaming service?
                          Or are you going to bunk in through the exit door like we used to do at Saturday Morning Pictures ?

Comment

I can wait until the film is on Film Four.....

Comment

Working...
                            X