No announcement yet.

What are some good movies to watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? Powell doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who gets intimidated by anyone, let alone a journalist. I think he knew what he was saying, he was targeting a specific audience, whether he believed it is another debate.

Comment

Has no one noticed the spam link in the OP? [and in his previous sole contribution]

I'll report.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyne View Post
        Has no one noticed the spam link in the OP? [and in his previous sole contribution]

I'll report.
        Both removed

Steve

Comment

I wouldn't class 'Peeping Tom' as horror or thriller, to me it's just plain old 'drama' (all be it an adult, X-rated one).

Horror is basically those Hammer films of previous decades, 'Doctor Blood's Coffin', etc; plus the 'Zombiefests', 'World War Z' for example.

I wouldn't place 'The Exorcist', or 'The Omen' series in the horror category either.

As for recommending films, how about 'The one that got away', based on a true story, Hardy Kruger as a Luftwaffe Pilot, gripping if not seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

I wouldn't place 'The Exorcist', or 'The Omen' series in the horror category either..
            I am thinking you are in the minority on that one

Comment

'World War Z'
              I'd peg that as absurd enough to be a comedy. An unfunny one!

I wouldn't place 'The Exorcist', or 'The Omen' series in the horror category either.
              What Paxton said.

Seriously, Mark, assuming we can (or want to) categorize most films, what genre would you regard these as?

Comment

Mark O, I would have to agree with you, The One That Got Away is a film worth watching if the OP has never seen it. However, regardless of how diverse one's taste may be, taste is always going to be subjective in my opinion. Some films which have won awards would never be viewed in my house. My "desert-island" collection would include such things as Rogue's Yarn, The Long Arm, Day of The Jackal, Edge of Darkness (Series), A Kind of Loving (Series), Hell Drivers, most things directed by Bryan Forbes, most things with David Hemmings or Jack Hawkins (as diverse as the OP perhaps!!?) Does anyone remember a series from 1982/83 called Praying Mantis with Jonathon Pryce and Cherie Lunghi? The DVD arrived through my letterbox today....can't wait to see whether I enjoy it as much second time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post

I'd peg that as absurd enough to be a comedy. An unfunny one!

What Paxton said.

Seriously, Mark, assuming we can (or want to) categorize most films, what genre would you regard these as?
                  (Alternative) Religious Dramas.

In the Exorcist a man of the cloth is summoned to rid the girl of the Devil inside her.

In the Omen a man is accidently decapitated, but it is a 'mishap' scene, rather than a horror scene.

Comment

(Alternative) Religious Dramas.

In the Exorcist a man of the cloth is summoned to rid the girl of the Devil inside her.

In the Omen a man is accidently decapitated, but it is a 'mishap' scene, rather than a horror scene.
                    I don't think that is an accident, the Devil would surely be up on a first degree murder charge for that one.

The Exorcist is clearly the story of a single mother struggling to cope with her precocious daughter. The possession is a metaphor for puberty, its a coming of age drama!

Comment

Originally posted by martinbaker2727 View Post
                      I like to watch movies but can't really think of any movies that i haven't already seen so i wonder if anybody has any ideas on good movies. I have a very diverse taste in movies so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
                      I'm sure that we all have our own favourites but you might like to look through our "Watched Last Night" thread and pay particular attention to the reviews by Gerald Lovell who is undoubtedly the Forum's answer to F. Maurice Speed and Leslie Halliwell.

Comment

Working...
                      X