Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Film Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Night

Every Tuesday, well almost every Tuesday, my mate and I watch a film. Film Night has become a bit of an institution actually, so much so that we've started a blog to document our viewing this year. Maybe some Britmovie Forumeers would enjoy it? A lot (but not all) of the films are British.

Tonight, on our traditional Tuesday Film Night, Chris Corner and I will be mainly watching Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday_Night_and_Sunday_Morning-239753683-large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1322

Comment

Yes, I would enjoy your posts, the type of films you both like are my cuppa also.

SNSM is probably my favourite of the 'angry young men/kitchen sink' genre, it has both ingredients.

I saw 'Dilemma' last year, for a B movie it's a very gripping one, the nosy neighbour makes me laugh, her 'cat ear' glasses add to her character no end !

I watched 'Room at the top' yesterday, hadn't seen it for quite some time, another great film.

Comment

Thanks very much Mark. I meant to record Room at the Top on the Sky box from Talking Pictures TV ( best thing to happen for British film fans for a long time) but failed to do so. It'll be on again though and this time I'll be poised.

Comment

Originally posted by taphonomy View Post
          Thanks very much Mark. I meant to record Room at the Top on the Sky box from Talking Pictures TV ( best thing to happen for British film fans for a long time) but failed to do so. It'll be on again though and this time I'll be poised.
          I'm sure it will.

I've definitely not scene the sequel film 'Life at the Top', hoping that one will be shown TP sometime.

Though Heather Sears doesn't play his wife Susan, Jean Simmons does.

Comment

Two new Film Night posts: Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and Diddle Diddle Dumpling, an episode of Inside Number 9.
            14:03:17 Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not. Looking smart in his shirt and tie, highly Brylcreemed and loudmouthed, Arthur Seaton (Albert Finney) is the archetypal Angry Young Man of the 60s. Railing against everything but accomplishing nothing, he's fuelled by beer and birds and a smouldering dread of being stuck in the…

Comment

14:03:17 This was an Inside Number 9 episode that we watched as a supporting feature to Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. There was a lot to like here. The suburban setting for example, kid's pictures on fridges and meticulously polished floors. Professional people home from work living their domestic half-lives. Spacious rooms and perfectly placed furniture. Perfectly…

Comment

In 2009 Hammer rose from the grave and showed us what life (and death) was like in the Irish town of WAKE WOOD...
                28:03:17 How appropriate that Hammer's first theatrical release for 30 years should be a story based around rebirth. A couple who lost their young daughter to a savage dog attack are granted her back for three days, but three days only. Enough time to say their goodbyes, then they must relinquish her back to the grave. Vet Patrick (Aidan Gillan)…

Comment

Hammer again, this time The Woman in Black.
                  04:04:17 A long time ago at a Film Night far, far away we watched the 1989 version of The Woman in Black. Compared to that, this 2012 Hammer production is a lavish affair. Eel Marsh House seems to grow organically from the ground, encased in roots and creepers and alive with supernatural promise. Whereas the earlier version made a…

Comment

A vivid account of Ken Loach's filming of BLACK JACK in Whitby in 1978.
                    Film Night is currently taking an Easter break, but here is Chris Corner's vivid account of the making of Ken Loach's Black Jack in Whitby, originally published on his own blog. It was August, towards the end of the summer holidays of 1978 and I was at my nana's - a tall house half way up…

Comment

Weirdness aplenty when a tiny alien lands at a 1950's English boarding school. Luckily the Children's Film Foundation were there to document it all.
                      25:04:17 The second part of this Film Night double feature was LUNCH HOUR (1961), the review for this will be posted as soon as possible. This could be difficult. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since watching these two films. Things have happened: An unexpected stay in hospital for one. Nevertheless, in an attempt to stay…

Comment

A couple who work in a wallpaper factory fail to make love. What more excitement could you want from a film?
                        The strange and compelling LUNCH HOUR (1962)
                        25:04:17 The night is dark and windswept, with rain in the air and an angry sea pummelling the cliffs. A lone figure silhouetted against the darkening sky makes his forlorn way along the desolate cliff top path. This is Chris Corner coming round for another  Film Night. Supersonic Saucer (1956) was the first part of our double bill,…

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
                          Yes, I would enjoy your posts, the type of films you both like are my cuppa also.

SNSM is probably my favourite of the 'angry young men/kitchen sink' genre, it has both ingredients.

I saw 'Dilemma' last year, for a B movie it's a very gripping one, the nosy neighbour makes me laugh, her 'cat ear' glasses add to her character no end !

As I said, she reminds of Daphne Oram, the pioneering electronic composer who worked at the Radiophonic Workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by taphonomy View Post
                            Tonight, on our traditional Tuesday Film Night, Chris Corner and I will be mainly watching Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday_Night_and_Sunday_Morning-239753683-large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1322
                            That American poster lobby title card was made before they had ratings for films over there and kids could have gone in to see this film, which was an X over here and were also allowed to go in to see any amount of horror and violence in films. The Americans were very Puritanical over sexual content in films, though, and maybe they cut quite a lot out of SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post

That American poster lobby title card was made before they had ratings for films over there and kids could have gone in to see this film, which was an X over here and were also allowed to go in to see any amount of horror and violence in films. The Americans were very Puritanical over sexual content in films, though, and maybe they cut quite a lot out of SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING.
                              Thanks darrenburnfan. They were quite late introducing ratings in America then? It seems the Classification and Rating Administration (CARA) was not set up until 1968. A lot of drive-in gore and dubious misogynistic activity had taken place onscreen by that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X