Boxes around movie stars' names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxes around movie stars' names?

This has been puzzling me for quite a while, but I've never got around to asking about it.
    A few years ago we bought the box-set of The Prisoner and I noticed that Alexis Kanner's name in the cast list always had a box around it. How weird, I thought, as he's only in a few eps and there are far bigger stars in the series. Now I've just got the Blu Ray of 'Taxi Driver' and on the back of the case their is the usual short list of major actors, wherein Jodi Foster, Harvey Keitel and Peter Boyle are all boxed. Cybill Sheperd, Albert Brooks and Leonard Harris are not.
    Is it simply a way of bigging-up the main attractions or is there something else going on?

Billings wars, I think, Andy. If they can't get a single card "And" credit or higher positioning, a box might do. The billing fight between Steve McQueen and Paul Newman on The Towering Inferno is a case in point: one to the left, one to the right, but higher up!

Comment

Thanks Mr Lovell, I thought it might be something along those lines, but it seems an odd way of going about it. I suppose we'll end up with casts who are *all* boxed, then they'll think of some other way of bigging them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
        Billings wars, I think, Andy. If they can't get a single card "And" credit or higher positioning, a box might do. The billing fight between Steve McQueen and Paul Newman on The Towering Inferno is a case in point: one to the left, one to the right, but higher up!
        Worse than the "And" credit is the "But also" credit.

e.g. Starring Steve Crook But also Fred Bloggs

Steve

Comment

Jonathan Harris beat them all as the Special guest star every week on Lost in Space.

Comment

• agutterfan
            agutterfan commented
            Editing a comment
            "Never fear, Smith is here!"

I always thought with film and TV credits which are screened before the start, when you get near the end of the titles, there is sometimes a 'with' (a middling star or two), then an 'and' (a major star),which draws attention to supposed importance of the actor.

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
            Shirley Brahms commented
            Editing a comment
            ..... and in the case of actresses, sometimes with "Miss" in front of her name!

I remember back to the days when at the end of a programme, the announcer would reference whatever play the lead actor was appearing in at the time!

Comment

Working...
          X