Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Kenneth Haigh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenneth Haigh

I’ve just seen in the Guardian on line that Kenneth has died. A great actor.

Sadly he'd been in a Nursing Home for a number of years after suffering brain damage, choking on food in a restaurant.
    Fine actor, great presence.

Comment

Oh dear, I didn’t know about the nursing home, the brain damage and the choking. He was a good actor.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
        I’ve just seen in the Guardian on line that Kenneth has died. A great actor.
        Here's the Guardian obituary https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...haigh-obituary

Comment

Tragic but hardly unexpected news. Ken is a great favourite on DVD, mainly from Man at the Top. He can finally be reunited with screen wife Zena Walker, Janet Key, Colin Welland and the many other co-stars in this very entertaining series (groundbreaking, I think, for its weekly use of swear words). I also remember him fondly for appearing with three more of my most beloved stars: Billie Whitelaw in Eagle in a Cage (in which he starred as Napoleon), James Mason in the spy film The Deadly Affair, and Susannah York in the Armchair Theatre play The Creditors. Other notable roles were his episodes of The Twilight Zone and Strange Report and an early performance in a film I watched last year, My Teenage Daughter, as the boyfriend of Sylvia Syms. One of his few surviving co-stars.

I have to add that Kenneth Haigh was the actor I worried about most the last few years. Former girlfriend Jean Marsh revealed he'd been "ill and in hospital for a very long time", a quote that's often clouded my mind as I'm watching his performances. It's actually very rare to find out details about the people I love as they reach the end of their lives (Richard Attenborough and wife Shela Sim were a notable exception) so I have no other option but to continuing watching my favourites and hope they're well as can be.

I'm usually "in denial" when I find out they've died because it can sometimes be decades since I last had any information (e.g. Rosemary Leach, Dorothy Malone). To learn, from the Guardian and Wikipedia, that dear Ken had brain damage for 15 years is far worse than expected. I knew nothing about the circumstances and suspected his illness was due to alcoholism. A harrowing time for all who loved him. I'm relieved this ordeal has come to an end and send my very best wishes to family and friends.

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
          Sadly he'd been in a Nursing Home for a number of years after suffering brain damage, choking on food in a restaurant.
          Fine actor, great presence.
          (Mama) Cass Elliott is alleged to have died after choking on a chicken sandwich, in Harry Nilsson's London apartment. Many years ago, my father mis-remembered that this also happened to actress Hazel Court. It wasn't until I joined Britmovie that I came across a post by Captain Waggett informing me it was actually Hy Hazell. I'm also reminded of a young woman who was part of the This Morning production team whose allergy to peanuts led to her choking and subsequent brain damage. These are all tragic cases, particularly those who lived and went on to have a poor quality of life.

Comment

It is sad about the last years of his life. I always wonder what happens to people when they disappear from the public eye. Rosemary and Billie where 2 of them. There are some old actresses I can think of now. Elizabeth Sellars being one.

Comment

R.I.P.

A very fine actor with no "side" to him (a Yorkshire expression he would have been familiar with). recently had the good fortune of seeing both Man at the Top and Search for The Nile whilst collecting classic TV year by year (my DVD buying has now moved on to 1973). He was excellent of course in the former, but the real surprise was the latter, re he played the (in)famous 19th C explorer and translator Richard Burton. He was simply brilliant, and really lifted this drama documentary.

Comment

Shame about "Look Back In Anger". I always thought Burton was to old for the part, only in his mid 30's but he locked and acted older than Jimmy Porter for me. I think Kenneth Haigh would have been far better.

Comment

I have some footage of Haigh doing LBIA and it’s so much more aligned to the text than Burton. Not that the character is a favourite of mine anyway, but Haigh clearly had an affinity with it, being an objectionable bugger himself.

Ive been really enjoying Man at the Top on DVD, a real time capsule and Zena Walker deserved to be so much more successful than she was.

Comment

I'll always recall him for his memorable but uncredited cameo as the archly pompous trend-spotter who clashes with George Harrison in "A Hard Day's Night".

Comment

Working...
                    X