Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Lewis Gilbert RIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis Gilbert RIP

It's the end of an era. Are there any other notable British film directors from the fifties left?

I think this should be in Obituaries.

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...lbert-obituary

Nick

Comment

I am very sad to hear of this as I knew him to talk to when we sat in the west enclosure at Highbury

Comment

Very sad news this. Such a wide range of film subjects yet all so exactingly British. For my mind just one You Only Live Twice was worth more than any Bond film following put together.

Comment

From the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...-trilogy-alfie

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
              Very sad news this. Such a wide range of film subjects yet all so exactingly British. For my mind just one You Only Live Twice was worth more than any Bond film following put together.
              Yes absolutely stunning when first released and remains so after 50 years and countless showings.

Comment

Wonderful story teller who new his craft inside out. Shame no Knighthood.

Comment

Jewish Chronicle obituary:

https://www.thejc.com/lewis-gilbert-...ing%20software

Comment

One of the great directors. So many good films. My own personal favourites are Reach For The Sky, Sink The Bismark, You Only Live Twice and HMS Defiant which I will be watching this week. His brother in law Sidney Tafler pops up in lots of his films. I also love his book All My Flashbacks which is a very good read.

R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                      I also love his book All My Flashbacks which is a very good read.

R.I.P.
                      Can you see if it mentions him working on an early Michael Powel Quota Quicky, The Price of a Song (1935)?
                      It was mentioned in one of the obits that he had worked for Powell back in the day, but there's nothing about it in the IMDb

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Can you see if it mentions him working on an early Michael Powel Quota Quicky, The Price of a Song (1935)?
                        It was mentioned in one of the obits that he had worked for Powell back in the day, but there's nothing about it in the IMDb

Thanks

Steve

It is a good autobiography and yes, it has about a page on The Price of a Song.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

It is a good autobiography and yes, it has about a page on The Price of a Song.
                          Thanks Gerald,
                          Does it say what he did in it?

I presume that it was as an actor.

What can I describe as his job when I submit it to the IMDb?

And does he say where we might find a print of it?
                          It’s on the BFI’s “Missing, Believed Lost” list

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Yes, Lewis was an actor in it and got a bit of a hard time from Mr. Powell. He played the brother of the hero's girlfriend. There's no word of its existence, I'm afraid. I'll try and scan in the relevant pages for you tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post

Yes absolutely stunning when first released and remains so after 50 years and countless showings.
                              You Only Live Twice is showing again on ITV-4 during this week. The early Bond titles are managed by ITV nowadays and get a regular showing.
                              But both here and abroad i work in the nfp education sector worldwide ,and the Home and Foreign Office study materials for approved refugees learning about UK does include James Bond and in this instance Roald Dahl who wrote the screenplay for YOLT. I have an original LP and paperback tie-in, original film cuttings when foolscap was the advert size, also the re-issue poster from 1999 I had good reason this week in class here in UK to mention Lewis Gilbert as a canon\ of Britishness not only in this picture but in films like Alfie. Reach for the Sky too.Illustrates WW2 perfectly. Not shown Alfie to students yet LOL. btw. Maryevans.com has behind -the-scenes stills from the 1967 production. I'm sure though Lewis Gilbert has reached into peoples hearts as how the 1960s was the decade to remember for those of us alive to remember that period.

Comment

Working...
                              X