X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will
    • Apr 2017

Laya Raki

http://westernboothill.blogspot.com/...-raki.html?m=1

That was the only obit I came across. I couldn't find the source.

Her One Step Beyond episode, House of the Dead, I think is one of the British studio ones.
    Last edited by will; 10 January 2019, 09:11 AM.
  • cornershop15
    • Mar 2017

Very saddened to read this, Will. Laya Raki would have been very well-known to British TV viewers in the 1960s for the mostly lost series Crane, starring Patrick Allen. Only two of the 39 episodes survive and spin-off show Orlando (played by Sam Kydd) wasn't any luckier.

That One Step Beyond is my best chance of seeing Laya at the moment, as I don't have anything on DVD. This and a crazy upload of her guest role in I Spy are the only credits I've found on YouTube. Despite the good picture quality, the latter's episode has been continuously uploaded several times, stretching its running time to more than four hours.

Much happier discoveries at the photo and newspaper archive sites, including pictures of her with first husband Ron Randell. She has blonde hair in this picture from the 20th December 1961 Australian Women's Weekly:

Although Laya married again after his death (second husband predeceased her by six months), I was moved to read, in the obituary Will linked, that she and Ron are buried alongside each other. After all the sadness they endured in their later years, I hope they've now found eternal happiness together.

Comment

• will
      • Apr 2017

Cornershop, I found this clip.

Comment

• cornershop15
        cornershop15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Will. YouTube have a more dramatic scene from the film (type 'Camino cortado - Clip 2'), which has Spanish dialogue but unfortunately no English subtitles.

Going back to that awful 'I Spy' upload, I recognised Joanne Linville while looking for Laya's appearance. Like her co-star, she is 91 now. Both lovely ladies when young.
    • Anthony McKay
      • Feb 2017

That is sad - I've been reading a lot about Laya recently as she made a film locally.

Comment

• cornershop15
        cornershop15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Presumably 'The Seekers', filmed in New Zealand.
    • zabadak
      • Mar 2017

Also a singer, apparently...

7" Single on 45cat: Laya Raki und die Schock-Kings - Oh Johnny hier nicht parken / Faire L'amour - Carina - Germany - F 124

Comment

• will
        • Apr 2017

She is in The Nylon Noose (1963). It is on veoh in it's entirety, a German thriller dubbed in Englsh. But her role is small. Not great, but watchable.

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by zabadak
          Also a singer, apparently...

7" Single on 45cat: Laya Raki und die Schock-Kings - Oh Johnny hier nicht parken / Faire L'amour - Carina - Germany - F 124

No singing there. Just a load of silly c***p.

Comment

• zabadak
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms

No singing there. Just a load of silly c***p.
            Oh, lol! :rolleyes:

Comment

• will
              • Apr 2017

Oh, Johnny!

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
                • Feb 2017

Marsha Marsha Marsha!

:)

Comment

• Anthony McKay
                  • Feb 2017

She made the news when she first came to the UK as she had been brought into England from Germany by a dubious character, on the pretext of making a film, who left her stranded.

Comment

• Anthony McKay
                    • Feb 2017

I've just been looking at documents and photos relating to the making of 'The Seekers' in out local archive - the small crew seem to have had a great time in the town and the locals have nothing but good things to say about Laya Raki who was a good sport despite gaining the attention of every male from miles around.

Comment

Working...