• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Finney R.I.P.

Albert Finney has died:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47175304

E.

just read Albert has died. Sad loss, he was a great actor.

Comment

By coincidence, I was watching Saturday Night, Sunday Morning only yesterday.

BBC Obituary https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13503928

Comment

R.I.P.

As a working class lad of the 60s Albert was of that generation of actors who I could identify with. Very handsome with a great voice, he was an actor of great range, from Shakespeare and Chekhov to Arthur Seaton and Charlie Bubbles, who was also capable of wit & comedy (see Gumshoe). Also important for Britsh Cinema was his production company Memorial Films, set up with producer/actor Michael Medwin, without whom we wouldn't have Lindsay Anderson's two masterpieces if.... and O Lucky Man!.

Some of the many memorable roles I loved him for: Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, Tom Jones, Two For The Road, Charlie Bubbles, Gumshoe, Murder On The Orient Express, Wolfen, The Dresser, Under The Volcano, The Green Man, A Man Of No Importance, Karaoke & Cold Lazarus, The Gathering Storm, and Skyfall ... just to name a few. I also liked his Scrooge.

And I congratulate him on refusing two Honours, and the reasons why.

His credits: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001215/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
        Last edited by agutterfan; 8th February 2019, 11:02 PM.

Comment

one of our very finest actors, very sad.

Comment

We need a thread merge here.

Comment

Is there an accurate biography of him?

I heard the gossip that he was cast in Lean's 'Lawrence of Arabia' but was sacked on location in Spain. IMDB says he did a screen test over four days and was paid a very generous fee of £100,000.

He only directed one film? Memorial Enterprises (co-owned with Michael Medwin) went bankrupt in a decade?

Did he do any stage work in the 1980s and 90s?

Google says he had a net worth of US $10 million while ex-wife Nicole Dreyfus ('Anouk Aimée') is worth US $20 million.

Comment

• Hersheybar67
                Hersheybar67 commented
                Editing a comment
                There's a great biography of him by Gabriel Hershman called Strolling Player and I can heartily recommend it!!

To answer your questions:

1) There is one at least but I haven't read it so don't know how accurate
              2) Depends on what source you use: he was either dropped because Lean thought he wasn't right or Finney himself declined the role because he thought himself he wasn't right. The large sum would be due to the 18 month shooting period & therefore compensation for any films Finney had turned down to commit to Lawrence.
              3) He only directed one film but Memorial Enterprises lasted for 22 years (1965-1987), it's last film was in 1981, and I don't think it went bankrupt, it just moved into other business areas (film financing for independent British films being in the 80s almost impossible to find). Medwin co-set up a theatrical production comany in 1988.
              4) yes he did, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001215/...=nm_pdt_wrk_sm
              5) I wouldn't rely on net worth site as accurate. Anyway, you can't take it with you ...
              Last edited by agutterfan; 9th February 2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                That list of his stage work seems pretty comprehensive, but surprisingly omits Iain Cuthbertson's famous production of Pirandello's Henry IV starring Finney , which I saw at the Glasgow Citizen's Theatre in 1963.

Comment

Sad news, I recall his performance in "Erin Brockovich" not a large part, but he made it seem effortless.

Comment

An actor of true brilliance! R.I.P. Mr Finney!

Comment

Go on, someone mention "Annie". Or the Dennis Potter "Cold Lazarus".

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                      Go on, someone mention "Annie". Or the Dennis Potter "Cold Lazarus".
                      Nowt wrong with "Cold Lazarus" imho, but yes, "Annie" is best forgotten.

Comment

A wonderful actor.
                        So many great performances, my favourites being Gumshoe, Charlie Bubbles and on Telly a superb Churchill in the Gathering Storm and the boozy hotel owner in Kingsley Amis The Green Man.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
                          ...and the boozy hotel owner in Kingsley Amis The Green Man.

RIP

I'd completely forgotten about that! An excellent adaptation of a great novel.

Comment

Working...
                          X