• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Jones R.I.P.

Freddie has died:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8998781.html

E.
    Last edited by Euryale; 10th July 2019, 01:05 PM.

Very sad to hear this. Great actor and a great scene stealer, he was often the most interesting thing in his movies.

Comment

No one could ham it up and chew the scenery quite as well as Freddie. His performance as Adam Lambsbreath in 'Cold Comfort Farm' was a memorable Tour de Force.

91 is a good innings.

Comment

Ah, I'd forgotten him as Adam Lambsbreath, doing his washing-up with a twig! Fantastic performance. He was also equally OTT in a guest part in an episode of Boon.

Somewhere I've got an audio recording of him from the Desmond Morris episode of "With Great Pleasure" (Radio 4, early 1980s), in which he was doing readings of David Frost's "Felicity Fark in the Land of the Media", John Lennon's "Deaf Ted, Danuta and Me" and a few other pieces of poetry and prose - they sounded great in his sonorous voice.

He played a very camp MI5 man in the late-1960s film "Otley" with Tom Courtenay. I hardley recognised him. And he looked so tall in that film, whereas I think of him in his more recent parts as being short and squat.

Comment

I first came across him in The Ghosts of Motley Hall as Sir George Uproar.

Nick

Comment

R.I.P.

A 'fruity' actor who could be comical, serious, and scenery-chewing when the material deserved it! One of the few actors other than Pat who played John Steed (in the season 5 story "Who's Who???"). I also have distinct memories of his wonderfully terrified performance in The Satanic Rites of Dracula, his truly evil turn as Bytes in The Elephant Man, and his wonderful turn as the old painter/forger in the Inspector Morse story "Who Killed Harry Fields" ("Two golden rules of forgery, Mr. Morse, spontaniety and never do Raphae
            l."). It was years before I found out that actor Toby Jones was his son. His credits: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428086/.

Comment

From the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...emmerdale-dies

Nick

Comment

Very sad news but he lived to a good age. He was a brilliantly unique character actor who seemed to relish every role he played.
                There were so many memorable performances but one of my favourites was his Emperor Claudius in "The Caesars".
                He will be sadly missed. R.I.P.

Comment

Very sorry to read this, he always put in a great performance. Was only talking about him the other day. Excellent as Sandy in Emmerdale, was sorry when he retired last year.
                  R.I.P.

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...jones-obituary

Nick

Comment

As everyone else has said. Excellent actor. RIP Freddie

Comment

I am a bit confused here.

I was always under the impression that an Actor or Director has to be born in the UK to be placed in this section?

If they are not born in the UK they get placed in the offtopic section of the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

I was always under the impression that an Actor or Director has to be born in the UK to be placed in this section?

If they are not born in the UK they get placed in the offtopic section of the forum?

Freddie Jones was born in Stoke-on-Trent. Is that not in the U.K.?

Comment

I always admired him in whatever he appeared n from Mystery and imagination in it's early days to his Sweeney Todd even though I never knew his name until later his face was like a member of the family, always there sitting in the corner on the TV. As posted above his Avengers episode as Steed was and is my all time favourite, rest in peace Freddie you will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

See the index on the Home page.

Obituaries of contributors to British film and television.

Comment

Working...
                              X