• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Medwin R.I.P.

The actor Michael Medwin has died:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51649817

E.

Farewell to Corporal Springer of Hut29 Nether Hopping and so much more.

Always bought plenty to his parts.

R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
      Farewell to Corporal Springer of Hut29 Nether Hopping and so much more.
      It's odd that the BBC obituary didn't mention Corporal Springer in "The Army Game", one of his most iconic roles. Surely not because it was on ITV ?

...or is it because IMDB seems to think that he only appeared in 3 episodes of the show? Which is of course complete and utter nonsense!
      Last edited by narabdela; 26th February 2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Such a shame. Michael Medwin was marvellous both as an actor & producer. Always a joy to watch.
        I too remember him as Corporal Springer & I recently watched him alongside Billy Fury in " I Gotta Horse". R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
          ...or is it because IMDB seems to think that he only appeared in 3 episodes of the show? Which is of course complete and utter nonsense!
          If you have proof that he appeared in more episodes then you can submit details of the other episodes that he was in.

That’s how the IMDb works. All of us movie & TV fans can submit corrections about anything we know (with proof) to keep the IMDb database up to date

Steve

Comment

The British Comedy Guide puts him in Series 1 and 2. I seem to remember him in the whole of the first series at least. Harry (Flogger Hoskins) Fowler took over after Michael left the cast.

Comment

The IMDb prefers actual proof like a screen grab of the on-screen credits. I don’t know if they’ll accept a reference even to such a worthy tome as the British Comedy Guide

Steve

Comment

Michael Medwin, actor who was a familiar face in 1950s TV and cinema and later on television in Shoestring – obituary

Enjoyed a separate career as a successful producer, notably Lindsay Anderson's radical 1968 film, if....

Telegraph - 27 February 2020 • 5:51pm

Michael Medwin, who has died aged 96, was a popular film and television character actor in the 1950s, but disappeared from the screen for some 20 years to become an independent producer, achieving several notable successes with films including Lindsay Anderson’s if.... (1968) about an insurrection at an English public school.

On television Medwin was perhaps best known for playing the scheming Cockney wide-boy Cpl Springer in The Army Game, the ITV sitcom that became the most popular series of the late 1950s and early 1960s. Many of the early episodes were transmitted live; one general thought it was a documentary, and complained to the War Office.

Medwin left after three series to star in his own sitcom, For The Love Of Mike (1960), playing a philandering dance band trumpeter. Some 20 years later he returned to the small screen to play the radio station manager Don Satchley in the BBC television detective series Shoestring (1979-1980)...

Note: The remainder of the obituary is available only to Telegraph subscribers.

Comment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-aged-96.html

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...edwin-obituary

Comment

I enjoyed his early Movie roles. A great Actor who will be well remembered.

Comment

I'm old enough to remember him in The Army Game and have always enjoyed his work. He covered most genre's in front and behind the camera as well as on stage. I believe he was also a very accomplished and revered golf bandit among the entertainment business. I only pre-ordered the Blu-Ray "The Intruder" DVD the other day.

Comment

Working...
                        X