Max von Sydow RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max von Sydow RIP

The Guardian is announcing the death at the age of 90 of Max von Sydow.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...l-dies-aged-90

I just heard about this. Max von Sydow was an incredible actor. Truly great!
    So many excellent performances, he had a marvellous career. R.I.P.

Comment

Gutted, The Seventh Seal is an all time classic. Such an impressive career.

Comment

R.I.P.

After the passing of Bibi Andersson almost a year ago, we have now lost another one of Ingmar Bergman's repertory, the great Max von Sydow. For those like myself who adore and grew up with Bergman's films Max is an old friend. A great theatre actor, whose reputation we must accept from the reviews, at least cinema has preserved his great acting talents. Only his fifth film, and first lead role, his performance as the Knight in Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal 1957) was a revelation, from his anguish and doubt about God and the meaning of life, to his joy at the simple pleasures of milk and strawberries. He followed this with other great performances, the sexually frustrated husband bewildered by his wife's descent into insanity in Såsom i en Spegel (Through a Glass Darkly 1961), the artist sinking into insanity when unable to confront his own dark desires in Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf 1968), and the inwardly bitter and angry lover hiding from the world who sabotages his relationship in En Passion (A Passion 1969).

He also graced with his dignity and gravitas many Hollywood productions, most famously The Exorcist, his great strength was that he could convincingly play ancient and contemporary roles and could intimate at the demons inside his characters. He will be missed.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001884/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
        https://www.ingmarbergman.se/en/person/max-von-sydow
        Last edited by agutterfan; 11th March 2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Max von Sydow, actor who played chess with Death in ‘The Seventh Seal’ – obituary

He forged his reputation with his compatriot Ingmar Bergman, played Christ in Hollywood and found enduring fame in The Exorcist

Telegraph - 9 March 2020 • 2:11pm

Max von Sydow, who has died aged 90, was the actor whose distinctive, ascetic features did more than anything to put the films of Ingmar Bergman on the international map.

He was an inspired choice to play the world-weary knight in Bergman’s The Seventh Seal (1957), back from the Crusades to find a world that God seemed to have abandoned. As he engages in a chess match with Death, von Sydow epitomises the fears of mankind facing a future where destruction – through plague, famine or nuclear war – seem the only certainty.

This role was the model for many of his later performances for Bergman, who was apparently unable or unwilling to acknowledge other aspects of his personality. For Bergman, among other roles, he played a husband despairing of his wife’s schizophrenia in Through a Glass Darkly (1961), and a fisherman in fear of a nuclear holocaust in Winter Light (1963); in Shame and Hour of the Wolf (both 1968) he played artists suffering in worlds where faith, hope and certainty had gone Awol....

Note: The remainder of the obituary is available only to Telegraph subscribers.
          Last edited by Maurice; 9th March 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...sydow-obituary

Comment

A life in pictures

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gal...fe-in-pictures

Comment

And a wonderful tribute from The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...o-made-me-weep.

Comment

Too few films for such a gifted actor, I remember watching "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and I don't think any other actor could have played Jesus the way that Max did. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
                    Too few films for such a gifted actor, I remember watching "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and I don't think any other actor could have played Jesus the way that Max did. RIP
                    163 acting credits on IMDB? That's not too shabby.

Comment

As I recall, he starred in two films in America. The greatest story ever told and Hawaii, Julie Andrews also starred in Hawaii. As I recalled, both films did not do well in the cinema. I could be wrong, if so, I am sure one of Brit movies members will let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinspencer View Post
                        As I recall, he starred in two films in America. The greatest story ever told and Hawaii, Julie Andrews also starred in Hawaii. As I recalled, both films did not do well in the cinema. I could be wrong, if so, I am sure one of Brit movies members will let me know.
                        Many more than two. IMDB is your friend.

Comment

Thank you for your information. I never followed his career or movies he appeared in. He was a talented actor, he had a very successful career in Europe and the U.S.A.

Comment

R.I.P. Max. A good tribute from agutterfan earlier (post #4).

Max von Sydow was an ever-present during my peak years of film viewing, on TV and VHS, in the mid to late 1980s. I quickly became a fan of Ingmar Bergman's work when ITV and C4 had late night retrospective seasons. and I also admired Max's performances as villains in the excellent thrillers The Quiller Memorandum and Three Days of the Condor. He was a powerful and menacing presence in the latter (vaguely recall his shadowy figure confronting Robert Redford in a lift).

I'm afraid my knowledge - and interest - in cinema post-1973 is so limited that I had no idea he was in James Bond and Woody Allen movies the following decade, but am pleased he was well enough to continue working until the very end in well-regarded productions.

Comment

ming the merciless in flash gordon (1980 )was my favourite just because he looked likehe was having abit of fun . I admire quiet subtle actors and he was the epitome . rip .
                              Last edited by AlecLeamas; 11th March 2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X