Roy Hudd RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Hudd RIP

The BBc s reporting the death of Roy Hudd at the age of 83.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51906543

Roy Hudd, comedian, actor and writer whose radio show The News Huddlines ran for nearly 30 years – obituary

Steeped in show business tradition, he was an historian of comedy, and as an actor appeared in Coronation Street and Broadchurch

Telegraph - 16 March 2020 • 11:49am

Roy Hudd, the comedian, who has died aged 83, sprang from the tradition of the British music hall and although he made his mark on the stage and on television was best known for The News Huddlines, his long-running Radio 2 satirical show which poked fun at the week’s news.

He became a household name in the 1960s with television sketch shows like The Illustrated Weekly Hudd and The Roy Hudd Show, later earning critical acclaim when he played Harold Atterbow in Dennis Potter's powerful drama Lipstick On Your Collar (1993). Before Potter died, one of his final wishes was that Hudd should be cast as a theatrical agent with a speech impediment in Karaoke (1996).

During two stints in Coronation Street (2002-04 and 2006-09) he played the undertaker Archie Shuttleworth. More recently he appeared in the third series of the ITV drama Broadchurch as the father of Det Sgt Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman)...

Note: The remainder of the obituary is available only to Telegraph subscribers.
    Last edited by Maurice; 16th March 2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

R.I.P.

Growing up Roy Hudd was always on TV and a welcome guest in the living room. A great comedian and a great comic actor.

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...-hudd-obituary

Comment

He was one of those talented comedians from the 60's & onwards who always seemed to be on TV.
          Always a joy to watch & his childlike humour was infectious. He seemed such a nice, gentle person. R.I.P.

Comment

Roy was one of my favourites from the days of THE ILLUSTRATED WEEKLY HUDD onwards.

Comment

Quite a shock to see this on the internet a little earlier. Very sad news, a great all round entertainer. Fond memories of him in Coronation Street as Archie Shuttleworth. Huge loss to the entertainment business.
              R.I.P.

Comment

Michael Billington on Roy Hudd.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...ael-billington

Comment

Very sad news. In my book a National Treasure,

I particularly loved his reminiscing on his early days in show business which he told on a TV programme series with people like Arthur Askey and Dicky Henderson. He told one very amusing story about when he was staying in a boarding house in the early days with among others the pianist Semprini who he caught out in a compromising situation with the landlady on the kitchen table when he came home unexpectedly early from the theatre.

He was a terrific entertainer who will be sadly missed.

RIP

Comment

God bless Roy Hudd.
                    He had that wonderful clowns face and that beaming gap toothed smile
                    A decent man and a funny man.

RIP Roy.

Comment

Sad day in show business, always remembered and looked forward to Roy Hudd, whether it was the radio or tv. A great entertainer, with a knack of knowing what made people laugh, if only 'modern' comedians had half his talent. RIP Roy

Comment

Fondly remembered as ...

Comment

I remember him showing his collection of theatre flyers and the love he showed for them, a sad loss and as for my favourite memory, well that would be as the locksmith from Up the chastity belt.
                          Last edited by Nick Dando; 19th March 2020, 05:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
                            I remember him showing his collection of theatre flyers and the love he showed for them, a sad loss and as for my favourite memory, well that would be as the locksmith from Up the chastity belt.
                            Yes he was Nick the Pick in Chastity Belt, the funniest thing in the film!
                            Also Roy was the MC at the wrestling match in Up Pompeii.

Comment

He also had a pleasing role as a cheery and hungry morgue attendant in The Blood Beast Terror (1967).

Comment

Working...
                              X