Barbara Shelley R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbara Shelley R.I.P.

I've just learned legendary actress Barbara Shelley has passed away........

R.I.P.

Click image for larger version

Name:	babs-main.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	96989

Awful news. She really was a "Hammer" legend. A great actress who was so beautiful, sexy & classy. R.I.P. Barbara!

Comment

Sad news, a great actress. RIP Barbara.

Comment

I had read that she was suffering from Covid before Christmas so this is very sad news, I always enjoyed her performances and at times she reminded me of Diana Rigg. She will be missed however, we'll still have her film work to enjoy again and again on screen, rest in peace dear lady.:(
        Last edited by tv horror; 5 January 2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

R.I.P. Venus, with love.

Very sad news, 2021 is getting off to a rotten start. A key figure in my growing up, she appeared in many British horror films and cult TV in the 50s and 60s, many of which I have in my DVD library. Memorable in pretty much everything she did, an intelligent actress as well as a great beauty. Particularly fond of her appearances in Danger Man, Village of the Damned, The Saint, The Gorgon, Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Rasputin: The Mad Monk, Quatermass & the Pit (looking absolutely stunning in a tartan skirt), Man in a Suitcase, Hadleigh, Blake's 7, Doctor Who serial "Planet of Fire", and my own personal favourite, The Avengers episode "From Venus With Love", where she demonstrated a nicely underplayed sense of humour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	b268462fdd56f13787553d7b5c43dd02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	96998

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quatermass-and-the-Pit-19671-e1572165779819.png Views:	1 Size:	422.2 KB ID:	96999

Click image for larger version  Name:	?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg4.bdbphotos.com%2Fimages%2F700x350%2Ft%2Fd%2Ftdncuh6dfex7uxd7.jpg%3Fskj2io4l&f=1&nofb=1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	97000

Comment

• tv horror
            tv horror commented
            Editing a comment
            That was a very nice tribute, I'm sure she would have enjoyed reading it aloud.

• Shirley Brahms
            Shirley Brahms commented
            Editing a comment
            She reminds me very much of Maureen O'Hara in that middle shot.

Famous Monsters of Filmland used to call her The Scream Queen. Barbara can be seen in Blood of The Vampire on Thursday morning on Talking Pictures.

R.I.P.

Comment

"For the brave of heart ... a challenge! Spend one night with the seductive and fascinating Cat Girl". I'll accept the challenge!

Comment

Not much AF, Barbara was gorgeous!
              My favourite first lady of the horrors.
              It's terribly sad, but she at least lived a long life.

RIP Barbara

Comment

Very sad news. So many excellent performances both on TV and film. My own personal favourite Barbara Shelley film roles were in Cat Girl (1957), Village of The Damned (1960), Shadow of The Cat (1961), Death Trap (1962), The Gorgon (1964), Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1965) and Quatermass & The Pit (1967).

Always gave gravitas to her many TV and film roles. Some personal standout TV performances were the Man in a Suitcase episode 'All That Glitters' which co-starred Michael Goodliffe who also starred in The Gorgon (1964). Also worth mentioning were performances in The Human Jungle episode 'The Man Who Fell Apart' and The Saint episode from 1962 'The Covetous Headman' and the Ghost Squad episode 'The Desperate Diplomat' in which she played a drug addict.

A DVD release of TV Series Oil Strike North and People Like Us both from the 1970's would be very welcome.

Currently watching the Dangerman episode 'View From The Villa' on Londonlive and enjoying the interplay between Patrick McGoohan and Barbara Shelley.

Comment

I put these together a couple of years ago - I was hoping to give Barbara credit for the hard work and dedication she put into building her career:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-06 102307.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	97034

Comment

Next Tuesday, 12 January 2021, London Live will be showing a Barbara Shelley film called Blind Corner from 1963 at 13.00PM. Co-stars include William Sylvester, Alexander Davion, Elizabeth Shepherd and the late Mark Eden who also sadly died a few days ago.

Comment

Such sad news to hear of this.
                      RIP Ms Shelley.

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...elley-obituary

Comment

• agutterfan
                          agutterfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Interesting to see she threatened to sue studios if they used body doubles for nude scenes.

You can see her quite erotic performance in Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966), Hammer's second film to pair Barbara with Christopher Lee, on TPTV on Friday 22nd @ 11.20pm.

Name:	Rasputin-2.png
Views:	101
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	97303

Comment

Working...
                        X