• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregory's Girl at 40

A short article from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56858767

A film for my generation.

I preferred That Sinking Feeling and Local Hero.

Comment

Those 4 Bill Forsythe films are all very special. You van see the potential in That Sinking Feeling (shame the DVD release is apparently not up to much), and then Gregorys Girl is just lovely. Comfort and Joy is a bit understated, but is a joy (the bit where one of the guys smashing up an ice cream van recognises Bill Pattersons character and asks for a dedication for his mum is wonderful), and Local Hero still works.

Comment

I saw Gregory’s Girl when it came out and I love that film. I saw The Sinking Feeling later (I think at the Screen on the Green) and asked the bloke there what was up with the sound. Apparently the only print available was one dubbed for the American market into more easily understood Aberdonian or some such. (You know, in the same way that American film distributors always think of UK / Australian / Indian audiences and helpfully supply NYC-dubbed versions of films set in Texas or Alabama)
        I think that’s the case with the DVD of That Sinking Feeling available too.
        Hopefully, the versions of Gregory’s Girl knocking around haven’t been tampered with.
        Grrr mutter mutter mutter

Comment

Originally posted by Seaton View Post
          I saw Gregory’s Girl when it came out and I love that film. I saw The Sinking Feeling later (I think at the Screen on the Green) and asked the bloke there what was up with the sound. Apparently the only print available was one dubbed for the American market into more easily understood Aberdonian or some such. (You know, in the same way that American film distributors always think of UK / Australian / Indian audiences and helpfully supply NYC-dubbed versions of films set in Texas or Alabama)
          I think that’s the case with the DVD of That Sinking Feeling available too.
          Hopefully, the versions of Gregory’s Girl knocking around haven’t been tampered with.
          Grrr mutter mutter mutter
          The BFI Flipside Dual-Format edition of "That Sinking Feelin" has a choice of audio tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

The BFI Flipside Dual-Format edition of "That Sinking Feelin" has a choice of audio tracks.
            Excellent. Thanks narabdela.

Comment

This and Watership Down are the first films my family ever rented from a video store. Mid 80s from Revolver Video, Whickham, Gateshead.

Comment

Working...
              X