The Amazing Mr Blunden (1972)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Amazing Mr Blunden (1972)

Starred Lynn Frederick & Laurence Naismith as Mr Blunden . Lionel Jeffries directs with a whimsical and evicative manner making us feel 'we once lived in more innocent and caring times ' .
    To some better than Jeffries other family film The Railway Children , And If you like ghost stories in the Edwardian period its a keeper .
    Last edited by AlecLeamas; 7th January 2020, 12:43 PM.

Contrast Diana Dors in this film and in Tread Softly Stranger earlier in her career. Not all the difference was due to makeup and a fat-suit.

I remember my English teacher reading The Ghosts (Antonia Barber's original novel on which the film is based) to us at school in the early 70s, so probably not long after the film came out, and I was captivated by the story. I saw the film later - I could never decide who I fancied more: Rosalyn Landor or Lynne Frederick. I don't count Madeline Smith who was rather simpering, sickly-sweet, out of the same mould as Lysette Anthony.

Comment

I prefer this to The Railway Children.

Comment

did nt the plot get a bit obscure.... Di Dors made to look a bit too gruesome.....
        could have done with more location scenes in the english countryside... stagecoaches etc...

Comment

did nt the plot get a bit obscure.... Di Dors made to look a bit too gruesome.....
          could have done with more location scenes in the english countryside... stagecoaches etc...
          Its a character piece of acting by Diana Dors .. Somewhat comically groteque . Liked to have seen other parts like that . She did several small Television roles in the last years . Tis film is Leisurely paced and with timelines overlapping but has an etheral quality that surmounts the flaws .
          Last edited by AlecLeamas; 3rd January 2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

yes big up to Lionel Jeffries for directing this movie...... think he also co wrote it ... am I wrong ?
            from being an actor he was turning into a big time movie director ... he even appeared on Di Dors This is Your Life ....

Comment

Originally posted by silverstar View Post
              I think I saw a behind-the-scenes interview with Diana Dors when she revealed the wart on her face was a Rice Krispie!

Comment

That could have been Clapper Board.

Comment

I watched this on Talking Picture TV recently and found it enjoyable enough, although I didn't recognise Diana Dors at first, lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X