It always rains on Sunday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robin Davies View Post

He means you don't choose your favourite film after you've reached fifty.
    And I think in most cases he's right. The only one that's entered my personal top ten since the year 2000 is Mulholland Drive.
    I would add short film The Call (2005).
    A young man is visiting friends in North London. But they aren't in and on his way back he hears a mobile phone ringing under a hedge so he picks it up and answers it. After the initial surprise, the woman at the other end of the phone seems very nice and appears to be intent on seducing him. But this is a short story with a violent twist in the tale.

Also Attack the Block (2011), a very clever urban SF film.

So you can't say that I don't like anything modern

Although none of them beat AMOLAD in my list of favourites

Steve

Comment

"Dick Barton Strikes Back"......er.....anyone? Dear Don Stannard. kelp.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
        the best film ever.

Yes, it's among my many favourites, I wouldn't say I have an all out fave, there's many films I love equally, this being one of them, it's regularly on the schedules of the 'London live' channel (along with another all-time great, Saturday night, Sunday morning).

I guess it could be considered as a forerunner of 'the kitchen sink' genre, as it showed how ordinary people did live, siblings having to share a bed, smoky Pubs, post-war rationing (though I believe fish wasn't rationed, hence 'addock' for breakfast lol), and margarine.

Though I have wondered what would have happened to Googie's character, I won't go into details, in case people haven't seen this film yet, but what she did was unlawful then.

A few years ago, I watched this film one weekend, the following weekend I watched 'Derby day' for the very first time, and there was Googie, doing the cooking once again, with that anxious look on her face, made me laugh at the similarity !

Comment

Hi Mark, I love the film and Googie of course. She could really play a part.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
            Hi Mark, I love the film and Googie of course. She could really play a part.
            She most certainly, it's probably because 'Within these walls' was a must see in our place, when I was about 12/13, that made me a fan of Googie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

She most certainly, it's probably because 'Within these walls' was a must see in our place, when I was about 12/13, that made me a fan of Googie.
              It was the same in our house!

Comment

A wonderful film,I particularly like Jimmy Hanley trying to play a hard case.

Comment

Working...
                X