Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Passport to Pimlico [1949]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport to Pimlico [1949]

From the in-joke at the start - the radio announcer telling us we've been listening to 'Les Norman and his Bethnal Green Bambinos' [referring to Leslie Norman, our Barry's Dad] - to the assertion that, '...'We always were English, and we'll always be English, and it's just because we are English that we're sticking up for our right to be Burgundians!' this is one of my favourite of the Ealing comedies.

The presence of Charters and Caldicott in all but name represents the hated bureaucracy against which the post-war bombed-out London residents rail. Stanley Holloway the archetypal, steady, traditional Dad. Margaret Rutherford at her best as the dotty professor. Many genuinely laugh out loud moments - my favourite the row between the two rival vehicle loudspeakers.

A smashing picture.

Ealing had three pretty much perfect pictures that year, and although Kind Hearts is my favourite, Pimlico is a delight. Its all so good its tough picking out a real standout from the rest, but Rutherford is totally on form, and the Charters/Caldicott chat about nice soap ('pinched it from the French Embassy') perhaps being a little dig at the delights of Austerity.

HMV has it on Blu Ray for £12.99, with Kind Hearts for a tenner.

Comment

Pimlico is one of a genre of films where the British had a brilliant knack of being able to take the p1ss out of themselves in classic comedic style. Others that immediately come to mind are Carlton Browne of the F.O. and I'm All Right Jack

Comment

Working...
      X