My Favourite British Film.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favourite British Film.

Letter To Brezhnev, 1985, starring Margi Clarke, Alexandra Pigg, Alfred Molina and Peter Firth. Filmed here in Liverpool, 2 girls have a night out in town and meet 2 Russian sailors. I've been around the locations where this was filmed, obviously the locations have changed a lot but it's nice to get the chance to do this.

I wonder what happened to Alexandra Pigg's acting career? She was excellent in this!

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post
      I wonder what happened to Alexandra Pigg's acting career? She was excellent in this!
      I looked her up on google a while ago and apparently she went to live in the US, not sure if she did any acting over there, i think she's back here though now because her marriage failed, or something like that.

Comment

I remember her most from Brookside.

Comment

Brookside is a little before my time, i saw it a few times before it was axed though but missed the best part of it, i'll google it as i had no idea Alexandra was was in it
          Last edited by Ella; 18th November 2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• googiefan
            googiefan commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve just read she has lived with Peter Firth since 2010. She, Peter, Margi Clarke have done a reunion in Liverpool for the re release of Letter to Brezhnev.

I've written elsewhere that Mrs. Henderson Presents is my favourite British film, but there are so many brilliant other ones. I watched The Lavender Hill Mob again the other day, and Genevieve, The Titfield Thunderbolt and Sparrows Can't Sing (which is very dated now and despite the presence of Babs is pretty lifeless.) The First of the Few is also a great film, though with a lot of "liberties" taken with the facts. But a great performance by David Niven as always.
          Mrs; H. also "dramatises" a true enough story, but the performance of Judi Dench is outstanding, even for her normal brilliance. The music is good, the subtle humour is enjoyable and the whole thing is compelling.
          The 1938 feature The Citadel, starring Robert Donat, is also a memorable and moving story of a Welsh mining community, far superior to How Green Was My Valley (OK, that''s an American movie)
          Richard Hearne, who created the beloved character Mr. Pastry, made a few films and I would include Something In The City in my top 20 British movies. An ingenious idea for a story with some good performances and a lot of atmospheric scenes of London in "the old days". Well worth a look.
          Anything by Ken Loach is going to brilliant and Kes is up there with the best, but Poor Cow was a just a bit too earthy for me.
          Sparrows Can't Sing is certainly valuable as a time capsule of its day, but perhaps most interesting for having been written by Stephen (On the Buses) Lewis. Some films stand the test of time, some don't.
          The Carry On films have become so familiar and routine in our lives now, and each one is amusing enough in its own way, but - perhaps controversially - I can take them or leave them I'm afraid. Only "Camping" would be on my list, and maybe not in the top 20.
          Finally, no list of British favourite movies would be complete without The Italian Job, one of the handful of Oakhurst productions. Nothing new to say about it, just the usual "great blend of comedy, thrills, performances and the ending....." (THE END).

Comment

I’ve often wondered what happened to Alexandra Pigg.

Comment

I love Queenie Watts in sparrows can’t sing. I love Queenie and would really like the album she made on Columbia.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
                I love Queenie Watts in sparrows can’t sing. I love Queenie and would really like the album she made on Columbia.
                Despite a pub fight all around her, I do like Queenie soldiering on with her song in Alfie (1965).

Comment

Yes I had forgotten about that appearance. She was great. I remember seeing her in Waterloo sunset the play.

Comment

Today my favourite is
                    Local Hero

but on a different day it might be
                    If...
                    The Ruling Class
                    The Bed Sitting Room
                    The Final Programme
                    Carry on Cleo
                    Dambusters
                    Overlord
                    The Life of Brian
                    etc

Comment

Dead Man's Shoes, Lawrence of Arabia, This is England, Death at a funeral, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. My list could go on and on....

Comment

I would include :
                        The League of Gentlemen 1960
                        The Titfield Thunderbolt
                        Please Sir 1971
                        The Railway Children
                        Went the Day Well

Comment

As I said on the previous site mine are, it always rains on Sunday, pink string and sealing wax, the Whisperers, Good Time Girl, weak and the wicked, yeald to the night and turn the key softly. I also like Bunny Lake is missing.

Comment

How can anyone have more than one favourite? Isn't "favourite" an absolute? It's like saying "the very best". There can only be one "best"
                            You can have many films that you really like, but only one favourite

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X