Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

My Favourite British Film.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hatpeg View Post
    I would include :
    The League of Gentlemen 1960
    The Titfield Thunderbolt
    Please Sir 1971
    The Railway Children
    Went the Day Well
    Please Sir and The Railway Children are 2 of my fave programmes and film. I have both on VHS tape.

Comment

I think that The Blue Lamp just edges it for me in front of The League of Gentlemen, but if Witness For The Prosecution which to all intents and purposes looks like it's British and was British but DEFINITELY ISN'T British then that would be my choice.

Comment

My favourite is still Mrs. Henderson Presents, and it's on BBC2 at 23.05 on Xmas Day.

Comment

There are a lot of amazing films, but all the James Bond movies are my favourite !!

Comment

I am not going to talk about classics but among 21st century' films. Slumdog Millionaire is the film that has impressed me a lot, everything was balanced, from direction to music.

Comment

I could be easily persuaded to include the (original) Italian Job as a fave. Hits all the right notes. Very British - Caine, Coward, Benny Hill, Fred Emney, load of Minis.....and the tantalisingly inconclusive ending.....

Comment

Adults having 'many favourites' doesn't bother me as much as millennials claiming some pop star to be 'very unique' or 'very iconic'.

Comment

If I'm allowed to love more than one person (mother, wife, children, etc.), then I'm allowed to love more than one film.

Life of Brian
                  Full Monty
                  Rocky Horror Picture Show
                  2001: A Space Odyssey
                  Shaun of the Dead
                  Attack the Block
                  Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead
                  Oliver!

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                    Adults having 'many favourites' doesn't bother me as much as millennials claiming some pop star to be 'very unique' or 'very iconic'.
                    'very unique'
                    And they claim to be able to speak English Click image for larger version

Name:	rotfl.gif
Views:	3
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	54072

Steve

Comment

I always enjoy watching The Battle Of Britain, especially for the superb, low-key ending

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                        If I'm allowed to love more than one person (mother, wife, children, etc.), then I'm allowed to love more than one film.

Two wrongs don't make a right

Just because other people got something wrong doesn't mean that you should
                        Yes, you can love more than one film but you can't have more than one favourite.

Steve

Comment

Sub-categories. Favourite War Film. Favourite Romantic Drama. Favourite Romantic Comedy That Doesn't Feature Hugh Grant. Favourite Christmas Movie. Favourite Film About Buddhism.

My all-time favourite, bar none, highest of the high, creme de la creme... oh, damn, it's American!

Favourite British Film: An American Werewolf in London.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                            Also "one of the only" and "one of the first"!

I'm not sure about "favourite" being absolute. I certainly favour quite a variety of desserts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                              I'm not sure about "favourite" being absolute. I certainly favour quite a variety of desserts.
                              You can favour lots of flavours, but you shouldn't have more than one favourite.

You can't have more than one favourite in a horse race

Steve

Comment

Pavlova.... lemon meringue pie.... butterscotch pudding.... it's a tie!

You can have equal favourites in anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X