Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

My Favourite British Film.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if Steve can pick a favourite, Mr Powell, or Mr Pressburger?
    Just kidding. I know what you're saying Steve, the over-use of the words "unique", "best", "favourite", "supreme", etc. have diluted the meaning and it is a struggle to promote the singular nature of such words. The problem in this case is about how people can ever choose just one favourite from, thousands, no, millions of their loved and cherished memories. Comparisons between films as diverse and complex as the people that we meet in our lifetimes, are impossible to narrow down and list in any order. The more films that you've watched, the harder it becomes. I think my teenage daughter would struggle to pick a favourite actress, even though she has seen so few compared to the list in MY head. When I was a toddler I thought Wally Whyton was the greatest singer I'd ever heard. Then I found my brother's old 45s of Tommy Steele singing "Little White Bull". Now my library of memories can range from singers who were dead long before I was born, up to and including the latest ear-worm pop hits that stream out of my car radio.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
      I wonder if Steve can pick a favourite, Mr Powell, or Mr Pressburger?
      No, I like both of them equally

Just kidding. I know what you're saying Steve, the over-use of the words "unique", "best", "favourite", "supreme", etc. have diluted the meaning and it is a struggle to promote the singular nature of such words. The problem in this case is about how people can ever choose just one favourite from, thousands, no, millions of their loved and cherished memories. Comparisons between films as diverse and complex as the people that we meet in our lifetimes, are impossible to narrow down and list in any order. The more films that you've watched, the harder it becomes. I think my teenage daughter would struggle to pick a favourite actress, even though she has seen so few compared to the list in MY head. When I was a toddler I thought Wally Whyton was the greatest singer I'd ever heard. Then I found my brother's old 45s of Tommy Steele singing "Little White Bull". Now my library of memories can range from singers who were dead long before I was born, up to and including the latest ear-worm pop hits that stream out of my car radio.
      All quite right Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbup1.gif Views:	4 Size:	770 Bytes ID:	54112

But you can only have one favourite

Steve

Comment

As a keen follower of the turf I can assure you that there can be joint favourites in a horse race. Two runners with equal shortest odds in the same race. My only fancy in this race is "Two Way Stretch". No matter how many times watched it makes me smile. A sound bet for anyone who likes a laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Toscana View Post
          As a keen follower of the turf I can assure you that there can be joint favourites in a horse race. Two runners with equal shortest odds in the same race. My only fancy in this race is "Two Way Stretch". No matter how many times watched it makes me smile. A sound bet for anyone who likes a laugh.
          Ah, but that's where the odds on them are both the same and are both the best in the race.
          OK, it was a bad example on my part. They aren't really both your favourite though

It's a matter of grammar rather than of horse racing

You can't (or shouldn't) say that two things are both the best - you can't have divisions of an absolute
          You shouldn't say that anything is "the very best" - you should never qualify an absolute

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
            Ah, but that's where the odds on them are both the same and are both the best in the race.
            OK, it was a bad example on my part. They aren't really both your favourite though

It's a matter of grammar rather than of horse racing

You can't (or shouldn't) say that two things are both the best - you can't have divisions of an absolute
            You shouldn't say that anything is "the very best" - you should never qualify an absolute

Steve
            Que?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Que?

Exactly

I'll agree that you can have two favourites in horse racing, because that's really talking about the odds not someon's favourite
              But strictly speaking it's still bad grammar to say that you've go a joint favourite. They should think up a new phrase for it

Steve

Comment

re Powell and Pressburger - you could say they are your favourite team.

I have two favourite British films.

Tunes of Glory - favourite drama.
                Genevieve - favourite comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                  re Powell and Pressburger - you could say they are your favourite team.
                  No, they are my absolute favourite film-makers

You could refer to them as The Archers because it wasn’t just P&P themselves as individuals, it was the whole team, cinematographers, designers etc. etc.

Steve

Comment

Would it be stretching things to have an each way bet on Two Way Stretch?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post

Would it be stretching things to have an each way bet on Two Way Stretch?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	rotfl.gif
Views:	4
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	54162

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

No, they are my absolute favourite film-makers

You could refer to them as The Archers because it wasn’t just P&P themselves as individuals, it was the whole team, cinematographers, designers etc. etc.

Steve
                        If ''favourite'' is absolute, wouldn't ''absolute favourite'' be tautology?

Comment

It's like deja vu all over again...

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                            It's like deja vu all over again...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	clapping.gif
Views:	6
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	54188

Steve

Comment

As a keen follower of the turf I can assure you that there can be joint favourites in a horse race. Two runners with equal shortest odds in the same race.

My joint favourite is Roast Lamb !

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                                My joint favourite is Roast Lamb !
                                You almost made me choke on my chewing gum!

Comment

Working...
                                X