Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

A Man For All Seasons (1966)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Man For All Seasons (1966)

This is truly one of the great British films.

It is very difficult to present a serious, intense drama about the inner life of an individual - especially a remarkable individual - and also present an exciting historical drama. Yet this film manages just that.

Paul Scofield gives a rich and moving, and very sad, performance. He is a reluctant martyr. Then there is Wendy Hiller as Alice More, Robert Shaw as Henry VIII and Susannah York as the More's daughter Margaret and Leo McKern as Cromwell. A feast!

The only serious problem: the film is much too short. Most of the epics made during that time amble on for hours. This one is so concise that even Henry VIII has little screen time and Vanessa Redgrave has a bit part as Ann Boleyn!

I would have happily enjoyed an additional hour on screen

I really like the film very much too. It takes me back to my final year at school when we had to study this for our 'O' level in English Literature all those years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
      I would have happily enjoyed an additional hour on screen

The 1988 TV movie manages an extra half-hour and is much more faithful to the original play. It also boasts a rather superb cast. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095578/?ref_=nv_sr_2 )

Unfortunately, Chuck Heston is no Paul Scofield.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

The 1988 TV movie manages an extra half-hour and is much more faithful to the original play. It also boasts a rather superb cast. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095578/?ref_=nv_sr_2 )

Unfortunately, Chuck Heston is no Paul Scofield.
        Yes, I saw that years ago. I did enjoy it and I appreciated the additional detail. But yes, Heston was no Scofield, although both at among my favorite actors. He played More the way he played El Cid, as a man of action. He didn't have Scofield's melancholy or depth. And Vanessa Redgrave was too grand for the part of Alice - she and Heston did not have the rapport that Scofield and Wendy Hiller had.

The play had a long run in New York. I read that Emlyn Williams took over after a year. I'm very sorry I never had the chance to see Paul Scofield on stage.

Comment

The best thing about the Heston version is Roy Kinnear in one of his last roles. I was lucky enough to see Heston & Kinnear on stage at London's Savoy Theatre at the end of 1987 prior to them making the TV movie (Gwen Watford was Alice in this stage production).

Comment

Originally posted by AllenDace View Post
            The best thing about the Heston version is Roy Kinnear in one of his last roles.
            Agreed. It's interesting to note that Leo McKern played this multi-role (The Common Man) in the original London stage production in 1960. This character was eliminated from the 1966 film, in which McKern played the part of Thomas Cromwell.

Comment

I really like that movie

Comment

Originally posted by AllenDace View Post
                The best thing about the Heston version is Roy Kinnear in one of his last roles. I was lucky enough to see Heston & Kinnear on stage at London's Savoy Theatre at the end of 1987 prior to them making the TV movie (Gwen Watford was Alice in this stage production).
                I would have liked to see that - A Man for All Seasons is rarely revived on stage here.

Comment

Yes Im here Tim! Just trying to work out the best strategy with this Photobucket thing from way back. Is there an easier alternative process out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                    Yes Im here Tim! Just trying to work out the best strategy with this Photobucket thing from way back. Is there an easier alternative process out there?
                    Hello - Yes, I used the Upload Attachments option on the right hand side. It worked very well. I uploaded directly from my computer

Comment

I see Matt Zimmerman, the voice of Alan Tracy in Thunderbirds, is billed above Vanessa Redgrave. Was that an "... introducing Vanessa Redgrave"? She has various TV plays listed on IMDb prior to this film, but presumably plenty of stage work.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                        I see Matt Zimmerman, the voice of Alan Tracy in Thunderbirds, is billed above Vanessa Redgrave. Was that an "... introducing Vanessa Redgrave"? She has various TV plays listed on IMDb prior to this film, but presumably plenty of stage work.
                        This and Morgan and Blow-Up were all produced in 1966; I don't believe she made any films before that although yes, she had considerable success on stage. Her role as Ann Boleyn is very small, a cameo. I do know she was the first choice for Margaret, played by Susannah York, but scheduling conflicts kept her from playing it. She was already becoming well known then, so perhaps her billing was at the end because it was a cameo

Comment

Hi there Tim R. So we can upload from computer?In more recent periods of the original Britmovie it meant Photobucket or similar. In which case meant struggling to keep connection due to this that and the other flash dimensions. Hopefully I can make more visual aid presentations therefore. Watch this space!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                            Hi there Tim R. So we can upload from computer?In more recent periods of the original Britmovie it meant Photobucket or similar. In which case meant struggling to keep connection due to this that and the other flash dimensions. Hopefully I can make more visual aid presentations therefore. Watch this space!
                            I still mainly use Photobucket. If you load them onto the BritMovie site then that will quickly use up our storage space which will mean we'll have to pay more for the site.

Whar sort of problems do you have with PhotBucket? Apart for when it's down for maintenance, I have had very few problems with it

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

I still mainly use Photobucket. If you load them onto the BritMovie site then that will quickly use up our storage space which will mean we'll have to pay more for the site.

Whar sort of problems do you have with PhotBucket? Apart for when it's down for maintenance, I have had very few problems with it

Steve
                              Does that mean if I upload photos directly they will add to the cost?

Comment

Working...
                              X