Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Tons of Trouble 1956

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tons of Trouble 1956

Its a good job the request of this thread was for Your favourite films as I'm sure we could all roll off a list on many, anyway here is one from my top 10 British movies and why its is.

I first picked up interest in RICHARD HEARNE on TV then later Saturday morning pictures where we would watch abridged feature films cut back around 20 minutes for a younger audience. This included Something in the City another of Richards memorable films which I did see cut shorter about 60 minutes then found a 16mm film print oh 30 years ago rekindling lots of memories.

But Tons of Trouble holds many years of memories as not long after seeing it on the box a British 8mm distributor was to release it full length and eventually we secured a film print of it. Over the decades we have enjoyed it so many times also upgrading to larger film formats and of course have the DVD now as well so its pretty much embedded on our lives. Its also led to fascinating trips to Richards former home, tending his final resting place some 500 mile round trip away paying our respects to a principled man who made us all laugh.

TOT also has William Hartnell and Austin Trevor who is desperate to find Cracknell at which point our home audience usually shout 'we must find Cracknell' such innocent fun. Then we have the two old boilers Mavis and Elthel along with the hilarious washing sequence and girl in the bath tub.

Richards wife Yvonne often pops up in some of his films and also in TOT as the matron which is nice to see her on screen with him as well.

So there you have it Tons of Trouble a great favourite of ours here and from the moment that bouncy music starts over the opening title you know its going to be some light hearted simple fun.
    Last edited by Mancunian Films; 8th January 2018, 10:25 AM.

I first saw it at the age of nine in 1956 when I went to see Walt Disney’s Davy Crockett—King of the Wild Frontier at the pictures. Tons of Trouble was the supporting film. I always remembered the two boilers, Ethel and Mabel, so much so that when I started work as a trainee projectionist at the Plaza, Fenton, at the age of 15 in 1962, I remember when I was taken down to the boiler house to be shown how to shovel coke into it, I asked the boss “Which one’s this, Ethel or Mabel?”

Comment

Working...
    X