Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Robbery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbery

My favorite film of my youth was "Robbery" starring the great Stanley Baker. For years the car chase stuck in my mind and when old enough to own a Jaguar mark 2, it was for me a dream come true.
    The chase in itself was for me the best even now as I feel like I am in the car with them. They got it so right for me and had a very big influence of my love of cars..
    The story is of course based on the "great train robbery" and for me is top of my list. Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-171616.png Views:	1 Size:	668.5 KB ID:	52724
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Soap Talk; 14th January 2018, 11:08 AM.

I had the honour of being allowed to drive a friend's Jag once or twice a long time ago. I felt quite grand! Big treat. It was a Mark2 3.8 and quite new. BRG as well, so very nice.

Comment

Of course, the director of Robbery (Peter Yates) was the director of car-chase films par excellence "Bullitt".

Comment

It was "Robbery" that got Steve McQueen's attention, he subsequetly asked for Yates to be the director on Bullitt.
        As mentioned on an old thread, part of the chase was filmed outside my old primary school. There is a scene where some children in uniform are crossing, that was filmed in Marlborough Hill, St Johns Wood, outside George Eliot Primary School. Also in the shot is Clement Freud's house.

Comment

It’s a wonderfully innocent old-fashioned cops and robbers piece, gorgeously shot and the chase is magnificent. It does feel a bit top-heavy, in that it never quite sustains the intensity of the first act, and the climax is a bit rushed, but it’s a film I go back to time and again.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
            It was "Robbery" that got Steve McQueen's attention, he subsequetly asked for Yates to be the director on Bullitt.
            As mentioned on an old thread, part of the chase was filmed outside my old primary school. There is a scene where some children in uniform are crossing, that was filmed in Marlborough Hill, St Johns Wood, outside George Eliot Primary School. Also in the shot is Clement Freud's house.
            Thank you for that, I never found where that was.

One interesting thing I came across was a video called "La Rhonde Infernal" of the 1969 Le Mans where Steve McQueen was seen preparing for he's "Le Mans" film. I wondered watching the video if some of the cameramen were used on the film as well?

Comment

[QUOTE=Soap Talk;n52814]

Thank you for that, I never found where that was./QUOTE]

http://www.reelstreets.com/films/robbery/ lists a lot of then-and-now locations that were used in the film.

Comment

One of my favourite films of all time, the car chase sequence was and still is very well done. When Network released the film on bluray I quickly purchased it and was amazed at the quality.
                apparently certain scenes of the actual robbery were reused in the film Buster.

Comment

Working...
                X