Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Boys (1962)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys (1962)

I caught this brilliant film on Talking Pictures TV last year and have watched it several times since. It's a really well made and gritty film following 3 youths on a night out who hatch a plan to rob a garage and the tragic consequences that follow. The film concentrates on the trial of the 3 youths and their various versions of the night in question.
    Brilliant performances from Dudley Sutton, Tony Garnett, Ronald Lacey, Jess Conrad and Peter Morley as the boys defence lawyer.
    Definetly worth a watch if you see it listed again.

Originally posted by Sweeney77 View Post
    I caught this brilliant film on Talking Pictures TV last year and have watched it several times since. It's a really well made and gritty film following 3 youths on a night out who hatch a plan to rob a garage and the tragic consequences that follow. The film concentrates on the trial of the 3 youths and their various versions of the night in question.
    Brilliant performances from Dudley Sutton, Tony Garnett, Ronald Lacey, Jess Conrad and Peter Morley as the boys defence lawyer.
    Would be even better in its correct CinemaScope ratio rather than the 16x9 version Talking Pictures show. At least it's not 4x3 panned and scanned.

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

Would be even better in its correct CinemaScope ratio rather than the 16x9 version Talking Pictures show. At least it's not 4x3 panned and scanned.
      Agreed.

At the Renown film weekend in Rickmansworth a few years back, I asked a representative from Renown whey so many of their DVDs of 1950s and 60s films were in the wrong aspect ratio. He said that, as just a third party licensee, they just had access to whatever the film company gave them. In the case of licensing films from ITV Studios, the current owner of a large part of the Rank backlog, all that they were given was the pan-and-scan videotapes that ITV made for their TV showings in the 60s and 70s.

This conversation was before Talking Pictures was on air but I guess Talking Pictures now just air the same videotapes that they used to create their DVDs.

In hindsight I wish I carried on the conversation more as I don't really understand why, if Talking Pictures has bought the license to show a particular film, it can't have access the proper film material and not just some poor quality pan-and-scan videotape.

I guess that with THE BOYS the version shown is just the version that ITV Studios sent to them. As you said, at least it was 16x9 rather than 4x3.

Personally I would like that all the TV pan-and-scan videotapes were disposed of. TV companies seem to have no problem showing post 1953 American films in their correct ratio. I only wish the same would happen for British films.

I dream on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeney77 View Post
        Almost right, it's four boys and Robert Morley played the defence barrister. Brilliant film.

Comment

Can I say that Jess Conrad hardly looks as if he has aged.I wonder if he has a portrait in the atic.

Comment

Working...
          X