Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Up the Junction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up the Junction

Hi all, new here. Anyone love the iconic London film up the Junction? Would like to hear from anyone who enjoys watching this icon with fantastic soundtrack. P.

I do. It’s a fantastic film. Love the acting in it as well. Hilda Baker has a fab role in it.

Comment

Hi Paul, welcome to Britmovie!

I like the film too. It has such charm - and any film which features a sweet packing factory in Battersea run by Arthur from On The Buses and employing Ringo's aunty from Magical Mystery Tour and Arthur Mullard's wife from Yus My Dear just HAS to be worth a look. In other words, a film where you just know you're in for one of those "who's who" treats in which every corner turned and each door opened seems to reveal another household face, whether it be junk shop owner Alfie Bass, lairy biker Bill Murray, young factory girl Susan George, market barrow boy Larry Martyn, part time abortionist Hylda Baker or seedy property agent Aubrey Morris. Impressive cast then (is that copper outside the courthouse really Mike Reid though?)

And of course sexy socialite Suzy Kendall, bored of her privileged Chelsea lifestyle, opting to slum it South of the river where she meets her main co-stars (all excellent by the way): her bit of rough Dennis Waterman and Liz Fraser's daughters Maureen Lipman and Adrienne Posta, who take the posh girl under their wing.

It doesn't really even need a plot beyond the loosely interwoven misadventures of these quickly established characters in Sarf Lahnden with some lovely photography and wistful panoramic shots of Thames barges, clattering goods trains, high rise concrete flats and the omnipresent power station chimneys. If I do have a gripe it's that, despite her charms, Suzy remains unconvincing as the too-good-to-be-true saintly It Girl determined to suffer the seamier side of life. Her hollow diatribe against the evils of wealth towards the close of the film simply fails to ring true whereas Dennis's ambitious, likeable young chancer is much more believable.

Always entertaining though, being as it is a superb slice of 1960s social commentary, directed by Peter Collinson with that lovely, breezy soundtrack from Manfred Mann.

Comment

Hi Tonch. Couldn't have put it better myself. Watched it again Sunday night, and it gets better as each year passes. I'm a London taxi driver and on my way home last night visited a few of the locations for a dose of nostalgia. Ended up outside the Pavilion public house, although now closed and played the title track whilst picturing the Triumphs parked outside. Have you ever seen the play for today that spawned the movie?

Comment

Paul K, does being a Cabbie make you a "Location Spotter"? Your skills at identifying streets and buildings must be phenomenal... I've always had a lot of respect for anyone capable of passing The Knowledge. There are occasionally threads on here where people try to identify locations used in films and I'm sure your input would be most welcome.

As for "Up The Junction", I am sad to say that it has escaped me so many times that I am beginning to think it has some kind of deflector shield and is avoiding me intentionally. I've seen bits, but never the whole film. I am reminded of this each time the Squeeze song of the same title comes up on the radio.

Comment

Hi Paul and welcome. You obviously have good taste, Up The Junction is one of my firm favourites, particularly the Liz Fraser family. About time it had an airing on TV.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the welcome. The entire film is on you tube if that helps.

Comment

It's a fantastic film. Those opening shots of the trains going along the viaducts and the chords of the title song bring a lump to my throat for a time that I never knew because I was too young to experience it and lived a long way from London. Adrienne Posta was very sexy - a lot more so than Suzy Kendall whose character never really rang true to me.

The film may be on Youtube somewhere but I can only find a copy that has been blocked on copyright grounds and a pay-per-view version. I'll have to dig out my DVD of it - which is somewhere in a packed storage unit so it will a long time before I see it again!

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. I will take and post a picture of the Pavilion PH as it stands now before it's demolished.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul k View Post
                    Have you ever seen the play for today that spawned the movie?
                    Sorry for the late reply, Paul.

Heard of this but no, never did see it.

Comment

It is a most enjoyable film and would agree with most of the foregoing criticisms & appraisals. Think Maureen Lipman's performance was somewhat underrated. The photography was superb for the year & every time i watch it i see something i'd not noticed before.

Comment

I love this film. I have it on dvd. Brilliant soundtrack as well. It’s also a good way to see how they were demolishing the old streets and putting up those big tower blocks . I still remember the market at Clapham Junction. I saw the tv play years ago. Also I read somewhere that the film was an amalgamation of Nell Dunn’s stories in the book.

Comment

Haven't seen this one for 40+ years, given the outpouring of love, I really must track it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post
                            Haven't seen this one for 40+ years, given the outpouring of love, I really must track it down.
                            I guess that is one of the good things about this forum. It can stimulate a desire to watch an old favourite, or find a new old favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post

I guess that is one of the good things about this forum. It can stimulate a desire to watch an old favourite, or find a new old favourite.
                              Definitely! It's the latest addition to my viewing list

Comment

Working...
                              X