Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Titfield Thunderbolt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titfield Thunderbolt

As it's so difficult to pick one favourite movie I'll go for the one we have projected most this year.
    Titfield Thunderbolt is a gem and so entertaining we must have hat it on screen 30 times in 2018.

A great slice of British cinema.

I've always liked it. It's reckoned to be a falling off from the great Ealing comedies and I can see why, but there's much to admire in it, especially the great character turns by Stanley Holloway, George Relph, Godfrey Tearle, Hugh Griffith and Jack MacGowran. I was very pleased to upgrade it to BD, but I'm sure it looks splendid when projected as intended.

Comment

Ditto above sentiments. Had the pleasure during on overseas trip in 2013 of visiting a few of the iconic locations where the film was made.

The opening scenes as West Country class Bulleid Pacific passes over the Midford Viaduct on the Somereset and Dorset Railway, just as the "Titfield" local passes underneath on the former (formally closed by the time filming was done) Camerton - Limpley Stoke branch line. They do a nice lunch and dinner at the pub in the background below the viaduct ....

The overgrown remains of the Limpley Stoke - Camerton line looking downfrom the Midford Viaduct in 2013

"Titfield" commuters making their way to their morning service

The Hill, Freshford 2013

The Vicar (George Relph) and Gordon (John Gregson) watching the Crump bother's anti-rail parade from the church yard

The view down Church Hill, Freshford from the same spot in St Peter's Church, 2013

"The race", Crump's bus (on Warminster Rd) -vs- the "Titfield" local.

The former trackbed, now a pathway passing under the A36 (Warminster Rd) near Monkton Combe, 2013

Blakeworth (Naunton Wayne) cycles into "Titfield" station yard

Yours truly, beside the only remaining trace of the former Monkton Combe ("Titfeld") railway station - the 2 metal posts either side of the entrance to the former Monkton Combe station goods yard.

A glimpse of the rooftop (centre right, nr the reddish coloured tree) of "Beale's Farm" from Church Lane, just outside of Monkton Combe.

Comment

Always reminds me of The Everyman Cinema in Hampstead.

Comment

Working...
        X