Dead of Night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead of Night.

This was the film that made me a fan of Michael Redgrave with his performance as Ventriloquist Maxwell Frere. But the full film is a great watch overall.

Each of the story segments are unique and it goes very well with the main narrative. A brilliant watch and my favourite British film ever.

A great film, and I always empathise with the Mervyn Johns character, and yes, Michael Redgrave is tremendous. Started a vogue for anthology films, like the W Somerset Maugham films, and twenty years later Amicus started their horror anthologies.

Comment

One of my favourite films, Googie is in this too .

Comment

I knew this film by reputation only for years . Finally caught up thanks to the review at britishhorrorfilms.co.uk .
        Recognise its influence .
        'Room for one inside ' . .
        Last edited by AlecLeamas; 26 December 2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
          One of my favourite films, Googie is in this too .
          Yes I liked her in the Mirror story. I also like Googie in Port of Escape.

Comment

I agree, Googie was good in everything.

Comment

Apart from the story with Googie, I love the story with Michael Redgrave and Hugo, the ventriloquist. Wouldn’t I, wouldn’t I wouldn’t I. A great few words from Hugo.

Comment

One of my favourites too. I loved the mirror story with Googie and Miles Malleson’s delivery of that line..”room for one more inside sir...” and I’ve always found ventriloquist dummy’s creepy, it’s all Hugo’s fault!

Comment

I think you’re right about Hugo, he’s the reason I find them creepy too. I wonder what happened to the actual dummy?

Comment

I know the top half of him got battered in Michael Redgrave’s cell god that noise it made was horrible, that dull thud . They must’ve made another head for that bit at the very end (spoiler alert!) when it walks towards the bed in the cell? Unless they made two of them!! What a thought!

Comment

It seems that Hugo was played by John McGuire in the shots where he moved and walked, so he would've been made up to look like the dummy.

Comment

thanks Gerald, I’m glad there’s not two of them!

Comment

I think it was inspired to put the Charters and Caldicott segment in to lift our "spirits"

Comment

Originally posted by Supernova Pilbeam View Post
                            I think it was inspired to put the Charters and Caldicott segment in to lift our "spirits"
                            That's a point of view, but personally I think it breaks up the flow of the thing, having the light-hearted bit so close to the end; it would have fitted better earlier on. Of course it may have been a deliberate move, to give the audience a breather before the scary last segment, but I still think it's too disruptive at that point.

Still one of my all-time favourite films though!

Comment

Great film. I like the mirror and the attic room stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X