Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They dont make them like that anymore....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They dont make them like that anymore....

Im thinking of the wonderful..... Clash of the Titans...... or the Amazing Mr Blundell

they dont seem to make them anymore.... am I wrong ?

Originally posted by silverstar View Post
    They don’t make them like that anymore
    They didn’t make many like that back in the day either

You’re looking at films from few years ago. You’ve picked a few of your favourites.

The Clash of the Titans (I presume that you mean the 1981 version rather than the 2020 remake)

The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)

The further back in time you look, the more great films there are. And the more where you ask “Why did they bother?”

Steve
    ​​​​

Comment

yes of course .. the Judy Bowker movie.... always worth a watch for the quality and style of the movie
      its on tv right now ... 3rd of jan

Comment

I found that clockwork owl, the comic relief, very irritating., though it was more realistic than Harry Hamlin. Not the best of the Harryhusen’s, give me Jason an d the Argonauts any day

Comment

I suppose this kind of movie .... Railway Children etc ... you could classify as childrens movies or family movies.

I suppose the tradition goes on in a way in the Harry Potter movies to some degree

Comment

They didn’t make many like that back in the day either

You’re looking at films from few years ago. You’ve picked a few of your favourites.

The Clash of the Titans (I presume that you mean the 1981 version rather than the 2020 remake)

The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)

The further back in time you look, the more great films there are. And the more where you ask “Why did they bother?”
            Absolutely. The reason we have fond memories of The Amazing Mr Blunden and Clash of the Titan is that they are solidly made films with appeal, that were (relatively cheap) staples of Bank Holiday/Sunday TV throughout the late seventies (in the case of the first) and then into the eighties and beyond. I have actually bought Clash of the Titans on DVD from Poundland because its a pretty decent film. But nostalgia does give a false impression that all films in the past were better, the winters were all snowier and everyone was nicer, etc. And with so many films available just on Freeview (looking at Films on Freeview, there are well over fifty films on tomorrow alone), there is simply a lot more choice to watch - films become justa bit less special.

On the other hand, even a look at Joe's Quad Posters Collection presents a load of films that I had to Google, because I had in many cases never even heard of a lot of them, never mind seen. And thats even more the case when you look at a dealer on Ebay. There is a lot of stuff from big studios with major stars that came and went with barely a trace, and didnt even get much of a video release or shown on TV. Most stuff is 'meh', as is easy to see when you look at the film releases for any one year - most just totally pass you by.

I suppose this kind of movie .... Railway Children etc ... you could classify as childrens movies or family movies.

I suppose the tradition goes on in a way in the Harry Potter movies to some degree
            I see the link - Potter gets shown a lot, but its a huge and popular franchise as well. More modern examples might be things like Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (which is a perfectly good film), Jumanji, etc. Solid family entertainment, but not so blockbusterish that you cannot afford to show it off peak.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post
              I found that clockwork owl, the comic relief, very irritating., though it was more realistic than Harry Hamlin. Not the best of the Harryhusen’s, give me Jason an d the Argonauts any day
              I agree with you. Although I quite liked Clash Of The Titans, it is for me one of the weaker Ray Harryhausen films. Jason and The Argonauts is much better in my opinion along with The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad. I do like Harryhausen's other two Sinbad films as well - Eye Of The Tiger and Golden Voyage, both from the 1970's.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

I agree with you. Although I quite liked Clash Of The Titans, it is for me one of the weaker Ray Harryhausen films. Jason and The Argonauts is much better in my opinion along with The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad. I do like Harryhausen's other two Sinbad films as well - Eye Of The Tiger and Golden Voyage, both from the 1970's.
                The last two Sinbads were good fun, the Argonauts has that classic ‘Saturday Night at the Movies’ vibe going on.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                  Bonekicker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, the last two Sinbads were stalwarts even quite recently of the Bank Holiday daytime slot, like Blunden and Clash of the Titans. Slightly surprised that the Doug McClure films about The Land that Time Forgot etc didnt get shown more in those sort of slots, but they werent dissimilar.

The last two Sinbads were good fun, the Argonauts has that classic ‘Saturday Night at the Movies’ vibe going on.
                Absolutely. And l have to mention another two films - namely It Came From Beneath The Sea (1955) followed by Earth vs The Flying Saucers (1956) where Harryhausen is credited for 'technical effects'. I highly recommend you watch the latter in particular if you haven't already done so.......it's classic 50's sci-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

Absolutely. And l have to mention another two films - namely It Came From Beneath The Sea (1955) followed by Earth vs The Flying Saucers (1956) where Harryhausen is credited for 'technical effects'. I highly recommend you watch the latter in particular if you haven't already done so.......it's classic 50's sci-fi.
                  Haven’t seen either of them for longer than I care to remember. I have a vague memory of Saturday morning movies on the BBC, or maybe BBC2. I’ll add them to my viewing list now, though, Carl

Comment

Haven’t seen either of them for longer than I care to remember. I have a vague memory of Saturday morning movies on the BBC, or maybe BBC2. I’ll add them to my viewing list now, though, Carl
                    Here's a trailer for 'Earth vs Flying Saucers' just to get you in the mood Paxton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o4fdX8gUMY

Both the DVD and Blu-ray from Sony are fine copies.

Comment

I got into my car on Saturday morning, getting set to start my weekend duty of covering the county and wide-opening weekend at Iowa Speedway, and I turn the key and this song was on the radio I couldn’t help, but to smile even if it was six in the morning MyPrepaidCenter.com
                      Last edited by Charlottes; 29 April 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlottes View Post
                        I got into my car on Saturday morning, getting set to start my weekend duty of covering the county and wide-opening weekend at Iowa Speedway, and I turn the key and this song was on the radio I couldn’t help, but to smile even if it was six in the morning.
                        This song? What song?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

This song? What song?
                          I'm guessing a song called "They don't make em like that anymore"... a country & western number by Jason Blaine!

Comment

Well done, wadsy. Like Shirl, I was a bit mystified until you cleared it up.

Comment

Working...
                            X