Anyone remember Rene Cutforth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember Rene Cutforth?

Does anyone remember the broadcaster Rene Cutforth and his programmes on Pubs?
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 15 June 2022, 07:25 PM. Reason: Correct spelling and punctuation

I remember him, but not that particular programme. Clive James described him as "... that rare thing, a front man with background. Fitzrovia and Soho weigh heavily on his eyelids. His voice sounds like tea-chests full of books being shifted about."

Comment

Originally posted by martinu View Post
      I remember him, but not that particular programme.

Same here. Great broadcaster, but I doubt if his accent would be acceptable on television or radio nowadays. Too "plummy" and "upper class".

Last edited by narabdela; 16 June 2022, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Appears in Michael Powell's The Queens Guards as himself, credited by name.

Comment

I lwas very lucky to have looked after him in hospital. Whatt a lovely man. He held court talking about his experiences, he told me the greatest man he ever met was Gandhi. A privilege to be in his company. I met him in out-patients years after, he made my day cos he remembered my name.

Comment

Originally posted by philly View Post
            Appears in Michael Powell's The Queens Guards as himself, credited by name.
            Well, he doesn't appear, he's a commentator in The Queen's Guards (1961). The IMDb says he was uncredited.
            Do I have to watch it again to see if he's really credited?

It's not a great film

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Same here. Great broadcaster, but I doubt if his accent would be acceptable on television or radio nowadays. Too "plummy" and "upper class".

I wouldn't describe his voice as "plummy" at all. He was just well spoken!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Well, he doesn't appear, he's a commentator in The Queen's Guards (1961). The IMDb says he was uncredited.
                Do I have to watch it again to see if he's really credited?

It's not a great film

Steve
                He is seen on screen in this and is introduced by name "..over to Rene Cutforth", not in the onscreen credits.

Comment

Originally posted by philly View Post

He is seen on screen in this and is introduced by name "..over to Rene Cutforth", not in the onscreen credits.
                  OK, thanks Philly, that should be enough for the IMDb to remove the 'uncredited' attribution.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

OK, thanks Philly, that should be enough for the IMDb to remove the 'uncredited' attribution.

Steve
                    OK, his 'uncredited' attribute has been removed

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X