War of the Worlds BBC production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the Worlds BBC production

Heard about this months ago but suprised no more information about it. could be good if they get it right.
    Whilst previous big screen adaptations have been set in America, this version will stay true to the original book and unfold in London and Surrey - 120 years after War of the Worlds was published.

Another War of the worlds. The 1953 version was the best, the version with Tom Cruise was ok, not up to the original, well, lets face it, money to be made remaking these films over.

Comment

The 1953 version of WOTW was one of my favorite sci fis of all time. I recall as a boy being mesmerized by the space craft as they hovered spraying their weaponry and obliterating everything in site..

Comment

And it seems they are at it again with a miniseries "in development for the BBC and doesn’t yet have a firm release date" according to the following post:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/09/i...ncerned-about/

However it must be fairly advanced since there is a 40 second video already:

"The War of the Worlds | Trailer - BBC"

It looks like it will be following the H.G. Wells book including being set in the appropriate time period.

Comment

Originally posted by chillingfilmania View Post
          The 1953 version of WOTW was one of my favorite sci fis of all time. I recall as a boy being mesmerized by the space craft as they hovered spraying their weaponry and obliterating everything in site..
          Me as well. The 1953 version brings back many happy memories of The Rex East Finchley.

Comment

Arthur linden jones. Apparently you don’t like Tom Cruise. Each to their own. He is a actor, in demand. He is not one of my favourite actor, and some of his films have been duds, as for the remake of War of the worlds, the 1953 version was far superior than the remake. Special effects, by today’s standard, were not that good.

Comment

Originally posted by chillingfilmania View Post
              They made a reappearance in Robinson Crusoe On Mars...

Comment

• Gerald Lovell
                Gerald Lovell commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the sound effects were the same too. Byron Haskin was the director of both films.

Also making a re-appearance from WOTW 1953, but in the Tom Cruise version of it, were the leads from the earlier version, Gene Barry and Ann Robinson, who played the grandparents at the end of the film.

Comment

Interesting note. Anne Robinson and Gene Barry, who starred in the 1953 version did have cameo roles in the remake starring Tom Cruise. They played Tom Cruise parents who were living in Boston. I think Gene Barry and Anne Robinson have passed away.

Comment

War of the Worlds [3 part mini-series] (2019)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa...tish_TV_series)

According to Wikipedia: " produced by Mammoth Screen for the BBC and co-produced with Creasun Media and Red Square...premiered in other countries first before it premiered on the BBC on 17 November 2019."

Two excerpts appeared recently:

Martian Tripod wreaks havoc on Woking!

released: Nov. 17, 2019
                  duration: 00:03:03

We shall fight on the beaches!

released: Nov. 24, 2019
                  duration: 00:03:18
                  Last edited by lazarus6; 28 November 2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

War of the Worlds [tv series] (2019)

But wait - there's more. Just to confuse the issue there is a second 2019 production!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of...2019_TV_series)

Again according to Wikipedia: "television series produced by Fox Networks Group and StudioCanal-backed Urban Myth Films... first premiered in France on October 28, 2019...takes place in present-day Europe"

The first season consisted of eight episodes and a second season has been approved.
                    Last edited by lazarus6; 28 November 2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

It's not bad. We've seen episode 2/3 so far. However i wish they wouldn't time-skip so much & do so many flashbacks / flashforwards

Steve

Comment

Special effects are pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
                          Another War of the worlds. The 1953 version was the best, the version with Tom Cruise was ok, not up to the original, well, lets face it, money to be made remaking these films over.
                          I agree about the superior 1953 version. The BBC production seems to be a combination of the 2005 film WotW and the 1997 Titanic film with its love interest subplot. The black sphere that appears from the pit seems to be standard Dr Who style computer generated imagery, Gerry Anderson would have done better from his shed in Slough 50 years ago. The slow motion stuff during the action is also irritating.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm finding it a bit dull and heavy going.

Comment

Working...
                            X