Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Those police documentaries.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those police documentaries.

Watching the police documentary series on Channel 5 and BBC 1, such as Fugitives and those motorway patrol programmes, I just wonder why it is that today’s policemen don’t wear hats (which are supposed to be a part of their uniforms) and all have shaven heads. Is it a rule now that you can’t be a policeman unless you’re completely bald?

My wife really likes programmes like Police Intercepters, which she does admit to being a thought free guilty pleasure. I have noticed that the coppers in them all seem to have nicknames, and yes, mostly very short hair or are shaven.

The shaven head thing I can understand = my forehead has been getting a bit higher year on year (I've just turned 50), and if you are starting to lose your hair, then shaving it off makes sense. As for the hats, that also makes sense - you dont really need one in a car, and its the sort of thing that gets knocked off in a ruck. And since they wear stab vests etc with 'police' written on the back, its unlikely that anyone will mistake them for anyone else. I suspect that hats/helmets are for formal occasions only.

Comment

The current fashion for men in general seems to be bald head but hairy face.

I like bald heads, but with faces to match. I guess I like consistency.

Aussie cops wear baseball caps these days.

Comment

I wonder what P.C. George Dixon would say about the way today's police look, all those yellow jackets and things. I hope that now we're leaving the EU, we can finally get back to black police cars and white ambulances and Chief Superintendent Duggan solving the most complicated of crimes in 25 minutes..

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
          I wonder what P.C. George Dixon would say about the way today's police look, all those yellow jackets and things. I hope that now we're leaving the EU, we can finally get back to black police cars and white ambulances and Chief Superintendent Duggan solving the most complicated of crimes in 25 minutes..
          Dream on.

Comment

i don't think anyone would respect a cop with a comb-over. :P

Comment

Watching the police documentary series on Channel 5 and BBC 1, such as Fugitives and those motorway patrol programmes, I just wonder why it is that today’s policemen don’t wear hats (which are supposed to be a part of their uniforms) and all have shaven heads. Is it a rule now that you can’t be a policeman unless you’re completely bald?
              Being bald on top myself, it makes sense to keep what's left quite short, we have a lady stylist call he does my sister's hair, then shaves mine, an 0 or a 1, it looks ridiculous to have long hair (on a man), if the scalp has terminated growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                The current fashion for men in general seems to be bald head but hairy face.

I like bald heads, but with faces to match. I guess I like consistency.

I know what you mean, I would never grow a beard, it would make look like a great, big, hairy bear, a look I would rather not have !

Comment

I wonder, so much paraphernalia in this day and age.

Oh for a Britain of the 1940's and 1950's, when you had friendly, neighbourhood copper's who knew the people of his streets, young rascals would get a clip round the ear for being naughty, then when they told dad, they would get another one !

Today the policeman would be up in Court, because of the hysterical parents (or parent) official complaint, because he (or she) dare chastise their little treasure, who can do wrong.

There's a lot to be said for the old ways, of the old days, gone forever, sadly.......

Comment

I do agree with cops wearing safety vests etc. It makes good sense.

As for black police cars, personally I'm against any cars being black, for safety reasons. They are the least visible in wet or overcast weather and at dusk and of course in those conditions they should have their headlights on, however, I have observed on numerous occasions that many, if not most, do not, even when nearly everyone else has - notable exceptions being drivers of dark coloured cars! I don't know why it is. They just seem to be "safety-unconscious".

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

I wonder, so much paraphernalia in this day and age.

Oh for a Britain of the 1940's and 1950's, when you had friendly, neighbourhood coppers who knew the people of his streets, young rascals would get a clip round the ear for being naughty, then when they told dad, they would get another one !

Today the policeman would be up in Court, because of the hysterical parents (or parent) official complaint, because he (or she) dare chastise their little treasure, who can do wrong.

There's a lot to be said for the old ways, of the old days, gone forever, sadly.......
                      You're not wrong, Mark. Everything is so impersonal these days. All due to population growth
                      , I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

You're not wrong, Mark. Everything is so impersonal these days. All due to population growth
                        , I suppose.

Plus lack of discipline in Schools and at the home.

Too much cotton wool in society these days, Prison is a just a luxury Hotel with a fence, it's no deterrent.

Comment

I live off the A1 in London.Around50 years ago I remember a sophisticated police speed trap.The policemen who stand a couple of hundred yards apart.At the approach of a likely victim the first cop would wave a white handkerchief and the second cop would start a stopwa
                          Last edited by orpheum; 19th March 2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

Plus lack of discipline in Schools and at the home.

Too much cotton wool in society these days, Prison is a just a luxury Hotel with a fence, it's no deterrent.
                            Pure "Daily Mail"

If you think that prison is a luxury hotel, try staying in one for a while

I doubt very much that any of the Mail journalists (or anyone else) who describes prison as a holiday camp or as a luxury hotel, has ever been incarcerated in one

Ask anyone who's been to prison if they ever want to go back there. It is a deterrent for most people

Steve

Comment

I'm a sucker for anything with trilby hats, cigarettes and dirty raincoats.. the Dr.Blake Mysteries are gladly keeping the tradition going.

Comment

Working...
                              X