X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Pure "Daily Mail"

If you think that prison is a luxury hotel, try staying in one for a while

I doubt very much that any of the Mail journalists (or anyone else) who describes prison as a holiday camp or as a luxury hotel, has ever been incarcerated in one

Ask anyone who's been to prison if they ever want to go back there. It is a deterrent for most people

Steve
    I'd rather not (stay in one), thanks all the same.

I've visited Alcatraz and Crumlin Road Prison's a tourist, pretty grim places, but they're historic, show how life inside used to be.

Three square meals a day, instant medical attention, pool tables, music and TV systems, no work, tending vegetable gardens, reading and painting, casual clothes worn nowadays instead of a uniform, whatever you want smuggled in, doesn't sound much of a deterrent to a potential robber, etc; to me !

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

I'd rather not (stay in one), thanks all the same.
      Don't commit any crimes then

I've visited Alcatraz and Crumlin Road Prison's a tourist, pretty grim places, but they're historic, show how life inside used to be.
      No English prisons then?
      And just as a visitor?

Three square meals a day, instant medical attention, pool tables, music and TV systems, no work, tending vegetable gardens, reading and painting, casual clothes worn nowadays instead of a uniform, whatever you want smuggled in, doesn't sound much of a deterrent to a potential robber, etc; to me !
      Would you rather that they were starved and not given any medical attention?
      That counts as torture

As for "whatever you want smuggled in", that's back to the Daily Mail fantasy version of prisons

What about being locked in your cell for most of the day? No contact with the outside world? That's the biggest part of the punishment

Steve

Comment

Before people get all nostalgic for Dixon of Dock Green, remember that he was a fictional character, and that even by the sixties, his character was looking a bit old fashioned and idealised. The police loved the character (hardly surprisingly), although I notice there are some stories about low level corruption within the police, but it was never going to be a wholly realistic portrayal of policing at that time. Thats one reason why 'Z Cars' was described as a 'hot show' when it came out - it was seen as much more gritty and realistic.

The same possibly goes for most British crime films of the time - everyone has a nickname, and is generally an 'ordinary decent criminal' ('Its all right, guv, I'll come quietly'). Someone once observed that pretty much the same actors and nicknames were used in British war films of the time as well!

Donald Thomas has written some excellent books about British Crime, including one about the period after WW2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Villains-Pa...0001659&sr=1-7 - and after reading it, you have a somewhat different view of the post war period. Guns are easy to find, violence is plentiful, petty crime and the black market flourished and many crimes such as domestic violence are largely ignored. And the police were often corrupt, perhaps turning a blind eye to organised crime or 'fitting up' people to improve clearup figures.

I hope he (or someone else) will write a history of British crime between the wars. You find lots on Victorian and Georgian crime (rightly so), and Thomas's and other have written about crime during WW2, but post 1919 is a bit of a desert, although people are at least publishing some articles http://oro.open.ac.uk/10655/1/download.pdf . Lots about the 'golden age of detective fiction' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden...ective_fiction , but this is the time that forensics really ramps up, the formation of the Flying Squad (set up to combat newly mobile and more violent criminals), and huge changes in society after WW1.

As for going back to black maria's, thats unlikely, since it would be very hard to spot them!

BTW - the traditional policman's helmet is one of the last vestiges of the 19th century vogue for helmets to which you could often add plumes, of the type you really only now see at the 'Changing of the Guard'. Such a helmet was similar in concept to the German Picklehabe or the post Soviet Revolution Red Army helmets with that strange stump on top, and as late as the 80's, there were one or two forces whose helmets still had the capacity to add a ball or even spike on top. And I'm delighted to finally find out why CID officers might refer to uniformed officers as 'woodentops' - older helmets were made from cork!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Don't commit any crimes then
          I have no intention of doing so !

No English prisons then?
          And just as a visitor?
          The one at Oxford, a converted Castle, I'm not likely to visit a proper working Prison in England.

Would you rather that they were starved and not given any medical attention?
          That counts as torture
          No, I didn't suggest anything like that, it's just maybe a days work, like they used to do, would be more constructive, sowing mailbags, etc;

As for "whatever you want smuggled in", that's back to the Daily Mail fantasy version of prisons
          For goodness sake !

The Daily Mail doesn't rule my life, never did.

What about being locked in your cell for most of the day? No contact with the outside world? That's the biggest part of the punishment

Steve
          That's the lags own stupid fault for being naughty in the first place.

I'd rather reserve my sympathy for the victims of crime, the emotional scars never heal for some people, they don't think about the trauma of the innocent when they stick a gun into their neck during a hold-up, do they now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
            I'd rather reserve my sympathy for the victims of crime, the emotional scars never heal for some people, they don't think about the trauma of the innocent when they stick a gun into their neck during a hold-up, do they now.
            Exactly.

I don't think prison would be like a hotel, but don't forget it's supposed to be for rehabilitation as much as for punishment. The punishment is loss of liberty. That really is a huge punishment and it must be awful, irrespective of the prison conditions. As for the comforts, they won't be rehabilitated if they're not treated humanely, although it does seem they may have too many rights sometimes.

That said, there are many violent, hardened criminals who will never change and never be remorseful. It would be nice if those ones could be shackled, tossed into a damp, vermin-infested dungeon and given nothing but bread and water, like in olden times, because that's what they deserve.
            ~Signed: Cruella de Vil

Comment

And I'm delighted to finally find out why CID officers might refer to uniformed officers as 'woodentops' - older helmets were made from cork!
              I've recently had some dealings with Try and Lilly in Liverpool (the hat makers) they have just found an 1890 policeman's helmet in the sample boxes and yes its made of cork.

Comment

Working...
              X