Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Freeview -Talking Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeview -Talking Pictures

Noticed in my TV mag that there is a new channel 'Talking Pictures' on Freeview Ch81 which seems to be densely populated with old 50s/60s B movies and B/W TV ..sounds great!..trilby hat, cigs and dirty raincoat heaven for me ... but I am not able to get it yet does anyone else know anything about it?

See the old thread about Talking Pictures at http://filmdope.com/forums/119049-ta...ctures-tv.html

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
      See the old thread about Talking Pictures at http://filmdope.com/forums/119049-ta...ctures-tv.html

Steve
      Well...not quite the old thread.

Comment

Ah ....it seems I have been up in the clouds for about a year or so LOL. How are they doing? do they intend to extend coverage?

Comment

Bert, I suspect you either a) Dont have a TV with an HD tuner (you must have that to pick it up) or b) your using a transmitter that doersn't use mux Com 7 (which is what its uses).

There are more details here: https://ukfree.tv/channels/channel/TALKPICS - as you can see from the comments, a lot of people are confused as to why they can't get it - and keep asking the same questions over and over again!
          Biggest single reason is normally an HD tuner (yes, the channel is in SD), and then the transmitter - even some main transmitters dont have enough room for that mux (which is why not everyone can get BBC4 HD, etc either). Why are they using the Com 7 mux on HD? As one of the regulars points out:

Talking Pictures is a commercial broadcaster so it is up to them to decide what format they broadcast in and what level of coverage they want for their channel (subject to available broadcast capacity). Being on the temporary COM7 multiplex the channel is available to approximately 70% of households at a much lower cost to the broadcaster than broadcasting in SD on COM4/5/6 with 90% coverage.
          If your on a Light transmitter, then no chance, although thats as much because commercial broadcasters cant be bothered, due to profitablity. Freesat is you way to go for that.

There are some decent films on there, and likewise with Sony Movie Channel etc (Public Enemies was on last night), but you do have to hunt around a bit. And the quality isn't always great - Movies4men tends to look like someones sweepings from a video rental place c.1988 (although their transmission of Code Name Wild Geese looked fine, but the film itself is rubbish), but one channel did show Yanks not long ago with the oddest aspect ratio I'd ever seen - it was distorted no matter what you did to it. Pure laziness.

Comment

Thanks Bonekicker for taking the trouble with that..
            It must be the reason you suggest as I don't tend to take TV that seriously these days (but that channel looked interesting), my Freeview box is over 10 years old and I still have an old backbreaker CRT TV set. I was not really interested in watching EastEnders (no I don't watch it,just an example) in HIGH DEFINITION.- but I suppose I will have to move with the times.

Comment

Well, I got in touch with them and got that answer "you don't have an HD tuner". Hmm. I get all the BBC and other HD channels on Freeview on my 2015 Samsung Smart TV; I also saw something that said you could only get Film 4+1 on Freeview HD - I have got Film 4+1... Ironic, as they are based only just up the road from us. Disappointed as it is a fantastic channel (which we can get in Hampshire on an older Samsung Smart TV) that only seems to get better and is a rare thing, a genuinely 24hr channel. (i.e. not hours of gambling or selly-telly).

Comment

I keep losing talking pictures on my DVD Recorder. Its fine on my TV but as soon as I turn the recorder on it vanishes. I have to manually tune it in. The frequency is the HD one 31 but when I check half an hour later its gone again and have to tune it in again. It happened last year as well but not for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
                  Well, I got in touch with them and got that answer "you don't have an HD tuner". Hmm. I get all the BBC and other HD channels on Freeview on my 2015 Samsung Smart TV; I also saw something that said you could only get Film 4+1 on Freeview HD - I have got Film 4+1... Ironic, as they are based only just up the road from us. Disappointed as it is a fantastic channel (which we can get in Hampshire on an older Samsung Smart TV) that only seems to get better and is a rare thing, a genuinely 24hr channel. (i.e. not hours of gambling or selly-telly).
                  Do you know which transmitter you use?

COM7 contains the following channels:
                  5USA+1
                  VIVA
                  CBS Reality +1
                  CBS Drama
                  Rishtey Europe
                  TalkingPictures TV
                  Vintage TV
                  VIVA+1
                  Keep It Country
                  BBC FOUR HD
                  BBC NEWS HD
                  Al Jazeera Eng HD
                  Channel 4+1 HD
                  4seven HD
                  RT HD
                  CBeebies HD
                  Planet Knowledge
                  Trans World Radio
                  so it you can get any of these, you should be able to get TP.

In Hampshire, the main transmitters are Rowridge (IOW) and Hannington, both of which carry COM7. If you can get Film4+1, you can get PSB3, but that's one of the multiplexes that all transmitters (even relays) carry. If you get your TV from a relay rather than a main transmitter, you will be out of luck - unless you decide to get Sky. I'm not sure whether need a Sky subscription or whether Freesat will do.

Picture quality of TP is fair to middling: most of the films seem to have fairly good tonal range, so they are using reasonable prints and/or have digitally restored them fairly well. However like many of the non-mainstream channels they are in sub-SD resolution: 544x576 rather than 704x576 pixels, so the horizontal resolution isn't quite as good - though I find I don't notice it too much once I'm watching a film.
                  Last edited by martinu; 28th March 2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Many thanks Martinu; trouble is my problem is not in Hampshire (we get TP fine there) but Hertfordshire - your indication suggests to me that we may be getting Film 4+1 there on a multiplex. Ah well. I am reluctant to shell out more on a Freeview HD adapter. It's like the trials of Tantalus; this wonderful thing that moves out of reach when you try to get to it. Heavens, if only the bandwidth were cheaper.

Comment

Before you buy a Freeview HD adaptor (if it's mainly for Talking Pictures) check which transmitter you receive from in Hertfordshire and whether it broadcasts all the multiplexes. http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe allows you to put in your postcode and see which is the strongest transmitter, then you can look on https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/locations/Freeview and see what multiplexes it broadcasts.

Comment

A bit late following up a comment (just moved and been without broadband for five days!), but when I saw this:
                        It must be the reason you suggest as I don't tend to take TV that seriously these days (but that channel looked interesting), my Freeview box is over 10 years old and I still have an old backbreaker CRT TV set. I was not really interested in watching EastEnders (no I don't watch it,just an example) in HIGH DEFINITION.- but I suppose I will have to move with the times.
                        Of course you can you use a HD box with a CRT TV. The Manhattan Plaza T2 has a scart on the back http://www.manhattan-tv.com/products...t2-freeview-hd , which is what I've got, and I spotted them the other day in Sainsburys for £35 (?).

The HD part is important, but its whats known as a T2 tuner - which simply more efficient than the one your using, in terms of what channels its capable of picking up. TP is in standard, its just that a T2 box can show HD as well. MartinU is asking exactly the right question if someone wants to enjoy TP and other SD channels, but using a non HD TV - if you've got an HD ready TV, then it makes perfect sense to buy one, even if you in a Light Transmitter area, because at least you'll get the normal HD PSB channels. But since not all transmitters have those extra muxes, and so even with a HD tuner you can't pick them up, its worth checking before you buy.

Comment

I’ve had a gripe about the TP channel on Freeview before and I still don’t understand why it is so flaky in my area despite having the correct aerial. My main viewing channels on Freeview are the Reality TV ones covering channels 60 to 72 (I’m actually a frustrated homicide detective- if you want to know about DNA and blood splatter, I’m your man) and I find them invariably reliable so why should TP be any different? If there is an item on TP that I want to record I have to play safe and go through my Sky box.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why I couldn't get it. I even re-tuned my set to no avail. It just doesn't recognise channel 81, but will play all the other Freeview channels. My transmitter is Fenton, about one and a half miles away as the crow flies (providing the crow flies in a straight line) and I get excellent reception on everything except channel 81, where there's nothing.

Comment

It's a shame that Talking Pictures channel is not being received by everyone for reasons given in this thread..
                              I notice on Friday they are showing The Red House a moody drama with Edward G Robinson, possibly an old low budget pot boiler? ..not sure .
                              ...but nevertheless has not been on Brit TV since 1966!
                              Last edited by Bert Quark; 9th April 2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X