Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Freeview -Talking Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
    It's a shame that Talking Pictures channel is not being received by everyone for reasons given in this thread..
    I notice on Friday they are showing The Red House a moody drama with Edward G Robinson, possibly an old low budget pot boiler? ..not sure .
    ...but nevertheless has not been on Brit TV since 1966!
    It's an atmospheric thriller that frightened me to death (in 1966??) though on recent viewing, I find it to be pretty slow and strung-out, albeit with a good score by Miklos Rozsa. The photography is very effective, though it's quite difficult to fully appreciate it due to the poor prints that have been available.

Comment

It's a shame that Talking Pictures channel is not being received by everyone for reasons given in this thread..
      I notice on Friday they are showing The Red House a moody drama with Edward G Robinson, possibly an old low budget pot boiler? ..not sure .
      ...but nevertheless has not been on Brit TV since 1966!
      The DVD version of The Red House I have is from Elstree Hill Entertainment, and although watchable could be a lot better in many ways. It's amazing what is on YouTube now, with many interesting films being added daily. There is a very good version of The Red House on there at present.

Comment

Crikey! there it is on YT and a shared experience of it with Gerald Lovell, how amazing.
        I looked up another film on the BBC database Seven Waves Away and they apparently have never shown it at all...It's on YT under the US title Abandon Ship and gave it about 5 minutes and could see why they never bought it.

Comment

Ran the check; our transmitter is Hemel Hempstead; it seems we need COM7 for TP - and HH doesn't transmit that. (Forgive me, I am utterly untechnical). Exasperating that all these little local channels carry it (such as That's Solent (at least in part) but 20 miles from London and its a no go.

Comment

Freeview has apparently just done a retune of its channels and some of them have disappeared, including 81. Maybe it's regional (East Anglia) but I rang the Freeview helpline and after half an hour trying the remedies they suggest, there's still nothing. Wasn't bad while it lasted but alas, no more. I hope TP tells its advertisers about this drop in "circulation".

Comment

Anyone catch Talking Pictures showing of the film Say Hello to Yesterday (1971) Starring Jean Simmons the other day?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067711/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt

It was in a 2 hour slot and only ran for 68mins with commercials!! The film supposed to run for 96mins......very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
                Anyone catch Talking Pictures showing of the film Say Hello to Yesterday (1971) Starring Jean Simmons the other day?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067711/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt

It was in a 2 hour slot and only ran for 68mins with commercials!! The film supposed to run for 96mins......very strange.
                From memory you did not miss much- one of those dreary old pot boilers that once famous actresses found themselves having to do in later years(Connecting Rooms- Bette Davis- Raintree County -Elizabeth Taylor etc)-

Comment

From memory you did not miss much- one of those dreary old pot boilers that once famous actresses found themselves having to do in later years(Connecting Rooms- Bette Davis- Raintree County -Elizabeth Taylor etc)-
                  Maybe not a good film but why show it the way they did? I wonder if this has been done before on TP tv?

Being shown in a shorter version takes the pain out of the viewer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

Maybe not a good film but why show it the way they did? I wonder if this has been done before on TP tv?

Being shown in a shorter version takes the pain out of the viewer!!
                    From TP's ethos about films I don't think they would intentionally muck about with the integrity of a movie and would do their best to show what the director intended...obviously not always possible when they are also trying their best to get us the forgotten and neglected and where there is no money available to strike new prints...however the mystery deepens as the censors' site shows the original 1970 UK release as 91 minutes and the 2010 DVD also at 91 minutes (give or take a few seconds between them), it also mentions no cuts were ever required to the film.

So I reckon there are two possibilities - timings wrong on the TV schedule timer (that has happened before) ..but more than likely it was an American TV print ....they use to hack foreign films to pieces to fill a slot.....I would suspect that TP had a hard job of finding this film as intended?.....Appears to have been only ever shown once on analogue TV

Comment

Raintree County is certainly a flawed movie, but to describe it as a “dreary old potboiler” is way off the mark.

Comment

Working...
                      X