Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Freeview -Talking Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
    Sometimes we just ?oose the signal for a minute or two.It is an old system
    Check the connections, and that the dish is aligned properly. It might be nothing more than a slightly loose coax.

Comment

Heads Up.

Looks like TP will be showing

Carnival of Souls (1962) on Mar 16 .. which if you have not seen it.. is a unique low budget ghost story with a very attractive female lead with a very clumsy name that perhaps hindered her progression in movies?

Gideon's Way (1964) begins in April .. cracking old police drama series from the ITC gang with locations around London and the home counties..a world that seemed to disappear sometime around 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
        Sometimes we just ?oose the signal for a minute or two.It is an old system
        As Bonekicker has pointed out, it sounds like a problem with your dish or the connections. Particularly as you've said it's an old system, there's a good chance that water may have seeped in where the cable connects to the satellite - this is quite a common problem with older installations. Also it may be worth having the dish checked for allignment as over the years it may have just moved very slightly out of position. This becomes more evident when the signal is slightly weaker, for example during heavy rain, which can then cause a total loss of signal, or pixellation.

Comment

Trees can also be an issue, especially in the summer when they're heavy with leaves. I have/had this problem, although my friendly and co-operative neighbour, whose trees were to blame, was happy to let me severely cut them back and so boost the signal.

Comment

I don't want to be carping, but sorry to say, TPTV showed Front Line Kids with the reels out of order yet again. This also happened with their broadcasts of Nurse on Wheels, though the original blame for that rests with Optimum whose DVD release has the same fault.

Comment

I've said this before. I know that it's a shoestring operation, but they should at least have someone monitoring the real-time output.

The number of recent cock-ups suggests that this isn't the case.

Comment

I'd still rather have it than not have it.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
                  I've said this before. I know that it's a shoestring operation, but they should at least have someone monitoring the real-time output.

The number of recent cock-ups suggests that this isn't the case.
                  You have to consider that many of the films they show have been so long out of the public eye and left on the shelves that if they say have someone employed in his/her 30s to transfer, he/she is not going to know these films anyway and confronted with a reel with a missing number he/she has only a limited amount of time to decide what goes where.

I find the Edgar Wallace series an absolute joy to watch- lovely location work and real car scenes not back projection- these were really only kept in the public eye while Leslie Halliwell (film buyer & author) was alive and now we have a chance to see them again.They were shown by Bravo-but look what happened to Bravo.
                  Last edited by Bert Quark; 3rd April 2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
                    I don't want to be carping, but sorry to say, TPTV showed Front Line Kids with the reels out of order yet again. This also happened with their broadcasts of Nurse on Wheels, though the original blame for that rests with Optimum whose DVD release has the same fault.
                    I saw Nurse on Wheels and thought there was a slight non sequitur: Deborah Walcott (Joan Sims) seemed to be snubbing Joanna Jones (Juliet Mills) even before they'd had their argument. What was weird was that there were no glaring jump-cuts at the changeover points. Scenes all seemed to follow each other in logical order apart from the slight continuity problem with Joan Sims' character. Is it normal for reels to change between scenes rather than ever happening within a scene, so that if a reel is omitted or shown in the wrong order, it's slightly less obvious.

I wonder if TPTV even have the ability to edit the playout files that they have bought, to rectify reels that were supplied in the wrong order.

Comment

Working...
                    X