Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

It 'Aint Half Hot Mum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It 'Aint Half Hot Mum

I've been watching the box set of Perry & Crofts comedy and whilst not as funny as I remember it, the show still has plenty of laughs.
    The plaudits should really go firstly to Windsor Davies, who is simply wonderful as Battery Sergeant Major Williams. Usually it's the voice people remember about Windsor, but he also had a wonderful array of facial mannerisms and ticks.
    It's a very carefully constructed performance and obviously appreciated by the other cast members. I've noticed John Clegg and Gunner Graham trying not to laugh once or twice, as he's being abused by the Sergeant-Major in a mocking sing song voice.
    Perhaps the other standout performance is from Michael Bates as Ranji the Bearer. Bates was an Anglo-Indian and spoke fluent Urdu and Hindi and therefore perfectly capturing the affectations of the local native Indian.
    Some of the acting from the other members of the cast is variable at best and the tiny budget that the BBC usually allocated to sitcoms is much in evidence, with the cheap looking sets and plastic scenery.
    But the show is enormous fun and it's a scandal that the show is never repeated on terrestrial telly. Don Estelle who never landed another substantial role was said to have been particularly bitter about this and despite the objections of racism, stereotyping or whatever, it would have provided some much need repeat fee income for the actors involved.
    Last edited by Tigon Man; 15th January 2017, 04:57 PM.

I'm in agreement regarding the excellence of both Windsor Davies and Michael Bates; two consistently outstanding performances and perfect casting in my opinion. But I must also give a shout out for the fabulous interplay between Donald Hewlett and Michael Knowles as Colonel Reynolds and Captain Ashwood. Their petty bickering over trivial matters was often hilarious; a testament not only to the actors but to the superlative writing and characterisation of Croft & Perry, who were so good at setting up this sort of two-way pickiness. The simmering chip on Captain Mainwaring's shoulder towards Sergeant Wilson's natural class and breeding in "Dad's Army" was another fine example.

Comment

Quite right Tonch, although Reynolds & Ashwood didn't always have a lot to do, except come out with the occasional
      'Good Show Chaps!'

Comment

Working...
      X