Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Avengers first episode.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sat down last night (Wednesday, May 10th) at 8 pm to watch another episode of THE AVENGERS on True Entertainment and when it started, I was amazed to see that it was the same episode they had shown the night before ('Killer Whale'). Did anyone else notice this? They haven't repeated an episode like that before, so I can only assume that they made a mistake.

Comment

When they began the channel claimed to have all the episodes and will be shown in order. However the Uncle series is repeating the second series again. On another note was there ever a book that detailed the early Avengers episodes like cast lists and such, thanks.

Comment

The Sell-Out is a cracker, easily the best of the Jon Rollason episodes.Series 2 has location work so it's not as claustrophobic as series 1 and the Rollasons.
      I can't work out what order they think they're doing though... my guide might help: https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-ave...ries/series-2/

Comment

If you can help fill the gaps in my cast lists, I'd love to know. Philly, Cornershop, Dave and, well, to honest, everyone, have helped out. (Philly, re-contact me about that last list!)
        Last edited by dissolute; 24th May 2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

One very noticeable thing about these programmes is the poor quality of the sound, being raspy and tinny, like a record played with a blunt needle and unless the actors and actresses are speaking loudly or shouting, it's difficult to hear the dialogue. The original programmes had clear sound and I suspect that these recordings have gone through some kind of audio processing that dampens down any crackle or hiss on the soundtrack. Why they do this, I don't know, as it also makes the dialogue indistinct.

Comment

The sound quality on tonight's episode, THE SECRETS BROKER, was much better. The best so far.
            Last edited by darrenburnfan; 30th May 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

What order are they broadcasting them in?
              I'm waiting for Season 3 Episode 8 "Second Sight", but I've got my Virgin Tivo box recording them and it might fill up before it gets there... unless I've done it wrong and already missed it.

Comment

• Joe Fraguela
                Joe Fraguela commented
                Editing a comment
                They showed "Second Sight" last week.

Yay!! It's there !
              Now to watch my own mother in a walk-on part that was made before I was born.

Comment

That was fun. Blink and you'd miss her. She can't remember doing it at all, although she did recall "quite a few" of jobs at the ABC television studios. She would have been 3 months pregnant with me when it aired in November 1963.

Comment

Last night, True Entertainment began running season 4 of The Avengers from 1965 made on 35mm film with Diana Rigg taking over from Honor Blackman in the episode The Town of No Return and, although the picture and sound were as clear as a bell, it had a strange, horizontal stretch on the image inside the 4 x 3 frame, making the actors look broader with fatter faces. Tonight's episode, The Murder Market, had the same fault. It seems that not only do StudioCanal, who did the transfers, seem unable to do anything right, but the people who transfer them don't seem to be able to notice when a transfer looks distorted. Has anyone else noticed this on the two episodes mentioned? I reckon it'll be the same on Monday night's episode whichever that one will be.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                    Last night, True Entertainment began running season 4 of The Avengers from 1965 made on 35mm film with Diana Rigg taking over from Honor Blackman in the episode The Town of No Return and, although the picture and sound were as clear as a bell, it had a strange, horizontal stretch on the image inside the 4 x 3 frame, making the actors look broader with fatter faces. Tonight's episode, The Murder Market, had the same fault. It seems that not only do StudioCanal, who did the transfers, seem unable to do anything right, but the people who transfer them don't seem to be able to notice when a transfer looks distorted. Has anyone else noticed this on the two episodes mentioned? I reckon it'll be the same on Monday night's episode whichever that one will be.
                    I commented on this during the first run. They showed all the episodes like this, also with a curious lightening on the top third of the picture for many. Fortunately, I've got the DVDs.

Comment

I take it that the DVDs haven't got that fault, then, although there were a lot of complaints about faulty discs in the box sets.

Comment

Working...
                      X