Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Ss-gb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ss-gb

The first part of an adaptation of Len Deighton's 1978 novel, with the what if the Germans had won the Battle of Britain scenario.
    Entertaining stuff, apart from a curious lead performance from Sam Riley as Superintendent Archer. Audiences complained about his mumbling, but to me he sounded more croaky, as he had a sore throat.
    A dead ringer for singer Pete Doherty/Docherty.

I agree - I didn't think he was mumbling exactly, but it was the strange hoarseness, as you say.

He played Ian Curtis in "Control" a few years ago.

Comment

Watchable though. James Cosmo is a wonderful actor, literally head and shoulders above everyone else in the show. He was in the Sweeney episode 'Hardmen' in which he showed his prowess at opening a door, by nutting it...

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
        Watchable though. James Cosmo is a wonderful actor, literally head and shoulders above everyone else in the show. He was in the Sweeney episode 'Hardmen' in which he showed his prowess at opening a door, by nutting it...
        He's got a marvellous face.

Comment

He has, even with a large sticking plaster on his face after nutting the aforementioned door...

Comment

Also enjoying this. I'm reading along with the episodes (after the episode) and what is surprising is how linear the adaptation is.

Scenes/dialogue is mostly as the book, but it is the atmosphere that wins for me.

Looking forwards to the next episode.

Comment

James Cosmo is a wonderful actor, literally head and shoulders above everyone else in the show.
              His father, James Copeland was also a superb actor, though largely forgotten these days.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0178611/

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

His father, James Copeland was also a superb actor, though largely forgotten these days.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0178611/
                I never realised they were related - thanks Narabdela. I loved James Copeland in a recurring role as Willie Mauchlin in "Strangers".

Comment

There are lots of complaints in the Radio Times about people mumbling in this series

They should turn the volume up, or switch on the subtitles

Steve

Comment

I wonder If this might provoke an official release of Game, Set and Match which I recall I enjoyed.

Comment

It's building up to an exciting finale...

Comment

Agree, it's been a slow, absorbing build up. It could go a few ways in the finale.

Comment

I've decided that because of his difficult position, Archer has become so used to semi-whispering that it's become habitual.

Comment

An interesting conclusion, which I won't spoil for those who've yet to see the end of SS-GB.
                            I fancy they have left it slightly ambiguous, in case a another series is commissioned.
                            I can't say I warmed to Sam Riley as Archer, finding him a little bit wooden, but the support cast was fine, especially the two German actors playing Huth and Kellermann.

Comment

An interesting conclusion, which I won't spoil for those who've yet to see the end of SS-GB.
                              I fancy they have left it slightly ambiguous, in case a another series is commissioned.
                              I can't say I warmed to Sam Riley as Archer, finding him a little bit wooden, but the support cast was fine, especially the two German actors playing Huth and Kellermann.
                              Those two were extremely good. Here's another facet of Lars Eidinger

https://www.barbican.org.uk/theatre/...l.asp?ID=20244

Comment

Working...
                              X