Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

My Week as a Muslim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Week as a Muslim

    They dressed a woman from Cheshire up as a Muslim and embedded her into a British Muslim family for a week.

    they chose a woman who must be one of the few Brits who had never met or dealt with any Muslims -very odd, but interesting. Amazing how ignorant of what I would consider to be normal

    Steve

  • #2
    they chose a woman who must be one of the few Brits who had never met or dealt with any Muslims -very odd, but interesting. Amazing how ignorant of what I would consider to be normal
    I suspect that was the point - finding someone clueless is probably a good way to show how ignorant they (and frankly, a lot of their fellow Brits) are. If you live in a rural area, or perhaps a place where there isn't really much of an immigrant population, then such limited experience isn't unusual.

    My wife's watching it now.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post

      I suspect that was the point - finding someone clueless is probably a good way to show how ignorant they (and frankly, a lot of their fellow Brits) are. If you live in a rural area, or perhaps a place where there isn't really much of an immigrant population, then such limited experience isn't unusual.

      My wife's watching it now.....
      Even my Mum, 90 years old and living in very rural West Wales, has some Asians in her nearest village. She talks to them whenever they meet. My Mum certainly doesn’t display such an ignorant attitude - “I’ve never eaten any Asian food” said the woman in the documentary. Maybe she’d been reading the Daily Hate Mail for too long & believed what they wrote?

      But the documentary finished on a happy note with everyone hugging and better educated

      Steve

      Comment


      • #4
        Tell your mother to avoid Mahbub Chowdhury's curries at Swindon. I certainly avoid all Sushi shops because they consistently rate the best for high-quality Salmonella.

        Comment


        • #5
          It has to be a good thing that there are documentaries like this - and they wouldn't work half so well if the 'plant' was already semi-familiar with the culture they are being planted into. I agree with Bonekicker in that what Steve regards as "odd" is not, in fact, all THAT unusual. I have at least one friend who has never eaten a curry in his life, and he's from Leeds where I would have thought there'd be no shortage of Asian restaurants. He has no Asian or black friends at all, not because he is xenophobic or racist (he isn't) but where he now lives in rural East Yorkshire there really is no one from these ethnic minorities within miles, or so he says - and he's a very sociable, gregarious chap. There are still places where immigration just hasn't really taken root at all. In this cosmopolitan "Metropolitan bubble" I've heard of it's probably impossible not to mingle and integrate with other cultures. Just because this benefit is not immediately available to some parts of the UK, it doesn't make the residents parochial bumpkins to be derided.

          Anyway, another friend of mine wonders if "Gentleman's Agreement", the old Gregory Peck film, in which he plays a journalist posing as a Jew in order to explore anti-semitism in society, may have sparked the idea for "My Week as A Muslim"? No such thing as a new idea they say!

          Comment


          • #6
            You’re probably right Tonch, I’ve always been cosmopolitan although I have an appreciation of rural areas. But I went to school then college with all sorts of ethnicities and then I worked with them and have always lived amongst them

            It all adds to lifes rich tapestry

            Steve

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
              You’re probably right Tonch, I’ve always been cosmopolitan although I have an appreciation of rural areas. But I went to school then college with all sorts of ethnicities and then I worked with them and have always lived amongst them

              It all adds to lifes rich tapestry

              Steve
              It very much depends on where you live. The population of the UK is 87% white and 87% Christian or no religion (2011 census figures).

              Comment


              • #8
                There was an episode of 999 Whats your emergency, which was filmed in Wiltshire. Apparently someone phone the police to tell them that a black guy was walking down the street. He wasn't doing anything, but the fact that there was a black guy in the village was seemingly enough for someone to hit the panic button.

                Between my family background, and the places I've lived, and currently live, I'm very aware of other cultures, others less so. Thats not to excuse attitudes, but it does help to explain it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                  There was an episode of 999 Whats your emergency, which was filmed in Wiltshire. Apparently someone phone the police to tell them that a black guy was walking down the street. He wasn't doing anything, but the fact that there was a black guy in the village was seemingly enough for someone to hit the panic button.

                  Between my family background, and the places I've lived, and currently live, I'm very aware of other cultures, others less so. Thats not to excuse attitudes, but it does help to explain it.
                  I didn’t know that places like that still existed. No wonder 50.001% (or whatever it was) of people voted for leaving the EU if they’re that isolated

                  Steve

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                    I didn’t know that places like that still existed. No wonder 50.001% (or whatever it was) of people voted for leaving the EU if they’re that isolated

                    Steve
                    Steve, you really cannot be daft enough to believe that the proportion of ethnic minorities in the metropolitan area that you presumably live in is replicated all over the country. As I mentioned in my post above, 87% of the UK population is white. In metropolitan areas that percentage will be lower. It follows that in non-metropolitan areas the percentage will be higher, so there are great swathes of the country where you would not see a "black" face from one week's end to the next.
                    Oh, and as you perfectly well know, 52% voted to leave the EU, like it or not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

                      Steve, you really cannot be daft enough to believe that the proportion of ethnic minorities in the metropolitan area that you presumably live in is replicated all over the country. As I mentioned in my post above, 87% of the UK population is white. In metropolitan areas that percentage will be lower. It follows that in non-metropolitan areas the percentage will be higher, so there are great swathes of the country where you would not see a "black" face from one week's end to the next.
                      Oh, and as you perfectly well know, 52% voted to leave the EU, like it or not.
                      No, I'm not daft. I was just going by my own experience where I've never been to any white-only areas, even in the depths of the countryside (or Wales)
                      And I didn't "perfectly well" know the results of the referendum, I just knew who won and who lost and that it was surprisingly close

                      Steve


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

                        Oh, and as you perfectly well know, 52% voted to leave the EU, like it or not.
                        ...and as as you perfectly well know, it's highly unlikely that that majority would be replicated in a current vote, now that people are aware of the harsh reality of Brexit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                          No, I'm not daft. I was just going by my own experience where I've never been to any white-only areas, even in the depths of the countryside (or Wales)
                          And I didn't "perfectly well" know the results of the referendum, I just knew who won and who lost and that it was surprisingly close

                          Steve

                          Good luck finding a large ethnic population in rural Wales. The 2011 census figures for the principality are 95.6% white, 2.2% Asian, 1% mixed and 0.6% black.

                          Getting back to the subject of the thread, I didn't see the programme (just endless trailers) but I find the concept of somebody "dressing up" as a Muslim rather distasteful. A Muslim is a Muslim because of their beliefs and their upbringing, not what they wear. A man can't dress as a woman and know what its like to give birth. What next, a chap in a beret and a striped shirt with onions hanging from his bike's handlebars in "My Week as a Frenchman"?
                          Last edited by Odeonman; 27th October 2017, 04:26 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

                            Good luck finding a large ethnic population in rural Wales. The 2011 census figures for the principality are 95.6% white, 2.2% Asian, 1% mixed and 0.6% black.
                            I'm not looking for a large population, just a population

                            As I said, my Mum has an Asian family in her local village in very rural Wales
                            You shouldn't put too much weight on percentages, especially from back in 2011

                            Steve

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This dose of British "Reality TV" has been appropriated from a US "Reality TV" franchise—

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn5DBf4Fbs

                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_W...BC_News_series)

                              You'll notice that the YouTube video is entitled "Lessons from 'What Would You Do?'".

                              It's called a lesson because these highly-contrived shows are preaching a 'lesson'.

                              The show's makers have to hire the venue for days and have the actors act out the scenario over and over until they ensnare an unpaid non-actor who supplies the result that the show's makers want in order to preach their 'lesson'.

                              The audience sitting at home is expected to be 'heart-warmed' and in tears at the climax of each show.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X